Sign in to follow this  
GazzaG60

DIY charger rebuild-Big shout H100 VW

Well finally after a long wait for the rebuild kit(thanks steve) the charger got built. according to jabbas marks from the last time they did it it was march 2001so its been just over 3 yrs since the last one.

The charger has been on a 65mm pulley for 12 months. and covered a total of 36000 miles in that rebuild span.

wear levels were minimal since the last time. at least one oil seal was seeping but the displacer etc was ok. there were signs of repair work to the scroll and a reminder on the case of how things can go bad.

ive done 100 miles on it so far and its good. very quiet either the new bearings or the std pulley responsable for that. probly both.

Big shout to Gavin for the job. cheers mate. id have a go myself next time but i wanted somebody who'd seen damage to look in there n give it the once over. Thanks to Darren for answering the bearing question at 11pm. it took around 5 hours in total, from stripping it down to turning the key again.

Steady with the compliments :oops:

I do think if it was going to blow it would have by now.

Another big up to Darren for taking time out from nappy changing to ring me back so late on a friday night. When he should have been catching up on his sleep!!! Some kind of customer service that!! Or did he forget to turn his phone off?

I am sure the inlet housing bearing is the one responsible for the noise. Mine made a horrible noise last year before the rebuild. No doubt in my mind that it was made worse due to the belt being too tight. Jabbasports tensioner cap is not required in my opinion. As long as the inside of the belt and all the pulleys are free from muck. Fitting the splashguard definately helps that problem.

Cheers

Gavin