Mystic Blue VR

Suspension opinion/advice please

Think I may do that on Monday. Main issue is cars in worcs not Essex. Doesn't stop me asking mind. Trust the advice of the forum over a garage any day of the week though...

Found this elsewhere on the forum....

"I know I have mentioned this before but cant find the link.

There are 3 revisions of front suspension fitted to Corrados as follows:

Revision 1. Early stuff as fitted to 16vs & G60s only:

Spring Plate diameter 105mm - 357 412 341

Top Mount, large rubber assembly with a metal disc bonded to the bottom - 357 412 329

Limit Stop, metal 'disc' that sits inside the engine bay - 1H0 412 319 B

Bump Stop, 84mm long - 357 412 303 E

Bellows, 172.5mm long - 357 413 175

Revision 2. Early VR Stuff up to around 06.93 builddate

Spring plate diameter 105mm - 1H0 412 341

Top Mount, large rubber ring - 357 412 341 A

Bearing for inside of top mount - 1J0 412 249

Limit stop - 357 412 319 B

Bump stop, 83mm long - 357 412 303 F

Bellows, 228.5mm - 1H0 413 175

Revision 3. VR Stuff from around 06.93 and 8v and 16v cars with a build date of 07.94 onwards

Spring plate, diameter 92mm - 357 412 341 A

Top mount - 357 412 341 A

Bearing for inside of top mount - 1J0 412 249

Limit stop - 357 412 319 B

Bump stop, 83mm long - 1H0 412 303 B

Bellows, 221.5mm - 357 413 175 A

Points to note:

The difference between revision 2 and revision 3 spring plates is more than a simple diameter change, the revision 3 plates are shallower by 6mm in depth and are also flatter where the spring meets the spring disc.

The reason for the change was the introduction of a new type of spring to the VR, these were lateral force compensating springs and were designed to reduce friction on the damper causing a better response from the damper resulting in a better ride, the downside was that the car sat slightly higher than the revision 2 set-up.

When fitting the revision 1 top mount it is worth noting that the threaded bush that is used to retain the top mount to the suspension assembly can be overtightened crushing the bearing, it needs to be tightened to 40Nm. When fitting the limit stop ensure that the suspension damper piston rod does not rotate when tightening the nut that hold the limit stop on the car, this may cause the threaded bush to become loose, the torque for the limit stop nut is 60Nm."

thinking about it my previous vr was a K plate so a '93 so it would have had the revision 2's

So the question is are the revision 2's compatible with the later vr6 and with the Bilsteins B12 so i can therefore just order all those parts from the version 2's with the bilstein kit. I would be replacing all these components anyway as part of the refresh..

still doesnt quite tie in with your comment mystic on you '94 vr though.

Is anyone running with the Bilstien B14s on their Corrado? Look good plus adjustable - what's the ride like and what's the comfort levels compared to standard? Only couple of hundred more than the B12s

Thanks