Mattbeckley123

Hall sensor/timing keeps resetting

Hi

I'm new to forum and really hope you can help. I have a 1995 8v corrado and it has the old rev limiter cutting in at 5000rpm and hall sensor error code issue.

It's a new sensor and distributor so I took it to my local vw bloke who set the timing, from what I can tell he did everything right, putting ecu into service mode then setting the timing (57,8). This fixed the problem and all was well until when restarting the car the problem was back and the timing had reset back to outside of tolerance. This was done twice with same outcome

I'm all out of ideas so any suggestions would be great!

Hello there,

I've been looking at a few things on the internet,

and looks like quite a few people have had this on their MK3 Golf / Corrado 2.0 8v (ADY) - (2E) as you are having with your Corrado.

Right so I take it you are getting fault code 00515 = Hall sensor / cam sensor.

1) Faulty Hall sensor

2) wiring fault

3) Faulty crank sensor

4) Distributor is a tooth out

5) Cam timing is out by a tooth

6) Fault with ECU (or not set to normal setting ?)

I would go back to the beginning and start again and check what was done and how, clearly something isn't right.

To remove any distributor you should always have the engine timed up to TDC = Top Dead Centre,

double check timing marks are inline on flywheel, crank pulley, and camshaft pulley,

once the engine is correctly timed up the rotor arm should now be pointing to number one contact on the distributor cap,

or be inline with the cut out mark on the top edge of the distributor housing (normally facing the engine block)

Once all this is correctly lined up you can then remove / refit the distributor =

(it is easy to have the distributor out by a tooth due to it being gear driven)

On the 16v Corrado / MK3 Golf engines the distributor is driven by the camshaft and locates into a half moon notch in the back of the cam,

so you can't really get it wrong, but on the 8v engines like I say the distributor is gear driven the teeth are roughly at 45 degree angle.

The ignition timing should be checked / adjusted using a timing gun when ever the distributor has been refitted.

The firing order should be 1,3,4.2 with number 1 cylinder being the cam pulley side i.e (drivers side)

plus I think the distributor rotates clockwise on the 8v engine.

Any of these errors will keep brining up the fault code 00515

Hope this helps.

Si

Thanks so much for the help and apologies in delay, the mechanic solved it in the end, apparently the incorrect Distributor had been fitted from a later model that kept throwing out the timing, all good now, thanks again