Jim Bowen

Removing rub strips?

Need to take off a couple of the black rub strips down the side of car. I assumed they are just glued on, is there a good technique to getting them off? Will it come off and take paint with it?

I plan to stick them back on again, just need to treat a bit of rust on my door.

act with lots of care Jim!!

use either a heat gun (even more care required) or a hair dryer to gently warm the strip & then ease it away from the body as the glue softens

it is extremely easy to apply too much heat - which could obviously bubble paint work

the adverse is very easy, in that not enough heat & the glue could take some paint with it

i managed to get all of them off the blackberry ok until the last one & despite major care i still lifted a 5p size chunk of paint off

im not sure what is best to stick them back on tho, anyone?

ive tried super tacky double sided stuff on the gf's & that lasted a day or two :(

Need to take off a couple of the black rub strips down the side of car. I assumed they are just glued on, is there a good technique to getting them off? Will it come off and take paint with it?

I plan to stick them back on again, just need to treat a bit of rust on my door.

I always use a really fine carp fishing braid or the string you get inside BT cable to saw through the adhesive then use white spirit or petrol to clean off the residue. I've never used one myself but those rubber eraser wheels are supposed to be very good.

Sticking them back on use either body tape or Sikkaflex

Sticking them back on use either body tape or Sikkaflex

could you expand a little on the above pls Jamie? ive not heard of either

could you expand a little on the above pls Jamie? ive not heard of either

Yeah mate - body tape is the double sided tape body shops use to fix trim on and Sikkaflex is a really strong sealant/adhesive that you put on with a sealant gun :)

We were posting the same time but I would always advise against how you done it due to the exact problems you encountered

Yeah mate - body tape is the double sided tape body shops use to fix trim on and Sikkaflex is a really strong sealant/adhesive that you put on with a sealant gun :)

We were posting the same time but I would always advise against how you done it due to the exact problems you encountered

thanks Jamie i will look into the body tape to put the gf's back on

if i were to remove some again i would use your technique - its kinda like how ive seen windscreen people get bonded screens out - & agree the amount of caution using heat it extreme.

that said it is easily possible if you take your time