Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

G60 takes ages to start ?

just replaced the black temp sensor on my g60 as the gauge died :( which sorted the gauge out 8) but the next day it took ages to get started :( ??? turned over fine but did not fire very well it would run for a couple of seconds then splutter and stop, and as soon as i gave it any throttle it would die, eventually started, and after about 20 secs of running it was fine and runs perfectly it starts easily when its allready warmed up though any ideas anyone ?

seems like one thing after another with this car but its fun when its going.

change the Blue temp sender too... ;)

The blue one lets the ECU know what temp the engine is running at, so if it's a pig to start when cold, this'll normally be your problem... :|

Both Black and Blue temp senders dying at the same time ain't unusual either... :roll: :?

cheers henny can usually rely on you for an answer :)

will get a blue one on order asap

when i got the black sensor it didnt come with an o ring seal and the old one seems to leak a little overnight will try and sort that out tomorrow could that cause any probs?

any idea what values the sensor should read (ohms)

i saw j dub at chester by the way looking good 8) had a quick look for you, tempest said you around somewhere but i had to leave as i was boiling my ar*e off

ah, right! some of 'em come with a seal, some don't... seems pretty random as to which do and which don't... :? If I were you, I'd get hold of a pair of seals when you get the blue temp sensor and replace both seeing as it only takes a minute to swap 'em... 8)

No idea on the Ohm readings.... I can probably find it out, but not after 6 pints in 2 hours... :? :roll: :oops: :lol:

cheers i will have another search on the forum im sure i saw the values somewhere. :wink:

6 pints in 2 hours and you can still type properly............. i must be a real lightweight i start sluring when i type after 3 :lol:

I can type, I just am having problems sitting down.... :? :oops: (standing up became a problem a while back! ;) )

You may wish to check THIS out for values though... ;) :D

Isn´t the blue temperature sensor similar to the black one ( for the gauge ) ?

Maybe it is possible to trade them and see what happens... :roll:

:?:

yup, you're correct Kongo... 8) for the purposes of fault finding, you should be able to swap the black and blue connectors over and see if the gauge still works and if the engine's running improves... 8)

GSF part no. 93494A - 2 Pin blue temp sensor £6.90 + VAT

So far as I know we use the O.E. supplier for them - can't remember if they come with the seal rings though.

change the Blue temp sender too... ;)

The blue one lets the ECU know what temp the engine is running at, so if it's a pig to start when cold, this'll normally be your problem... :|

Both Black and Blue temp senders dying at the same time ain't unusual either... :roll: :?

Is the 16 valve engine the same because my car is displaying the exact same symptoms here? if so where abouts is the wee bugger cos its been pissin me off for a while now :lol:

Is the 16 valve engine the same because my car is displaying the exact same symptoms here? if so where abouts is the wee bugger cos its been pissin me off for a while now :lol:

1.8 or 2.0 ??

(Different injection systems)

1.8-16v has K-Jetronic mechanical injection. Unlikely to have this sensor fitted. Problem more likely to be related to warm-up regulator (fitted to front of crankcase) or 5th (cold start) injector - fitted to inlet manifold.

2.0-16v may well have this sensor fitted - likely to be mounted in water pipework close to cylinder head.

You can nicely get a complete Temperature vs. Ohm graph by just bringing a pan of water to the boil whilst reading the temperature and resistanxce off the blue temperature sensor. The resistance continuously drops (exponentially) with rising temperature, starting with in the region of 7 to 8K, dropping to a few 100 Ohms. The plot I got exactly matched the one shown in the Bentley manual 8)

Tempest

1.8 or 2.0 ??

(Different injection systems)

1.8-16v has K-Jetronic mechanical injection. Unlikely to have this sensor fitted. Problem more likely to be related to warm-up regulator (fitted to front of crankcase) or 5th (cold start) injector - fitted to inlet manifold.

2.0-16v may well have this sensor fitted - likely to be mounted in water pipework close to cylinder head.

!.8 , gutted cos ive seen the price of the warn up regulator :lol: was just checkin to see if it was anything on the cheaper side 8)

!.8 , gutted cos ive seen the price of the warn up regulator :lol: was just checkin to see if it was anything on the cheaper side 8)

not going to be a problem for you for too much longer tho :wink:

Harry? you should be able to get a second hand warm up regulator easily enough 'cos it's the same on the 1.8 16V Golfs and other KR engined VWs... 8)

Harry, - u sure it's not the 5th (cold start) injector ??

If that's foobarred you'll b running lean on startup - similar to running an old car with no choke.

not going to be a problem for you for too much longer tho :wink:

Very true rodders although im no sure how long its gonna take me to get all the neccessary bits together, you know wot im like :?