Andy T

'95 VR6 Rear caliper external/internal spring?

Recently failed MOT for a slight rear caliper leak and poor handbrake.

I bought a standard new rear caliper (which has the internal handbrake spring, matches what was previously on the car)

I also had another new caliper for the other side of the car, which I had bought a few years back, so I decided to fit this at the same time. This has an external handbrake spring, but otherwise is the same casting/piston etc. The spring did touch the rear beam slightly but it didn't seem to affect its operation.

so I bled the brakes and tested - had a spongey pedal but not to the floor, so assumed the new pads just needed to bed in, although after a long drive they had not improved any.

I adjusted/balanced the handbrake cable tensioners but found when pulling the handbrake up, the left cable which goes to the external spring caliper is moving a hell of a lot more than the internal spring side, causing the handbrake lever to come up very high!

So my question is, are these different types of caliper incompatible? does the old type require more cable travel or tension?

I don't want to risk massively biasing the handbrake tension as it may end up failing the MOT retest. Or could the excessive travel be related to the spongey pedal or a duff caliper? I've not had issues with brake bleeding in the past.

Maybe if you posted a picture of the rear callipers might help.

Also if one calliper is coming on before the other with the handbrake, you might want to adjust the cables underneath the handbrake cover.

As I said in my post I've already adjusted the cables at the handbrake lever, tried again yesterday and it's just not right, the two caliper types are incompatible (or the external spring one is faulty) anyway I bought a new correct matching one, have fitted but just need to bleed brakes and setup handbrake now.

I will try and get a pic of the two types of caliper, might help someone avoid this headache in future..

spongey means air in the system still...an external spring one should be okay but shouldnt contact the beam

All sorted now, matching correct calipers now and handbrake lever adjusted up as it should. Sponginess sorted by bleeding the master cylinder, decent pedal now that should improve a bit more when the new pads bed in.

Passed MOT re-test this morning, so back on the road after nearly a 2 year hiatus!

Rear calipers seem to be a lot cheaper than they used to be, £45 each from brakeparts.co.uk (TRW make, they don't even want your old caliper back either so they may be completely new units)