SR_Neale

Second battery

I'm thinking of fitting a second batt in the boot to run the stereo but not sure what's involved. Can it be charged off the alternator? Will it need its own fuse box? Cheers in advance.

There is quite a bit to add a second bat correctly.

Some of the things you will need to factor in are:

1) A relay to drop out connection to the battery when the ignition is off - not required but I would

2) Fuse protection for your feed from the alternator to the new bat.

3) A local dis board would be good so you can individually fuse down each component fed from the circuit.

4) Depending upon the type of battery used, some form of ventilation.

5) The output from the alternator will need to be checked as you will be upping the load.

6) I have seen it done that you can put a monitor on the primary battery so that charge will only be alowed to the secondary bat once there is no charging load on the primary.

7) If your stereo is pulling high load, a power cap will help to reduce the load on the cap.

Hope that helps - try some camping and touring websites for some useful info - I have found there info to be better than some ICE sites

Does sound like a fair bit of work. The main reason I was looking to do this is so I can run a small camping fridge and charge phones etc when at shows without running main batt down but my brother pointed out that a small solar panel charging a separate batt might be easier and more portable plus cheaper. So might try that out first. Wasn't over keen on the extra weight in the boot.