ShivasRegal

Eibach springs wont fit corrado vr6 storm 95/96..Top mount issue?

Fitting to standard dampers - couple of people mentioned on here they had done the same and that the ride was quite good still??

Just wanted to get a more acceptable ride height at the lowest possible cost withouit ruining the ride. - hope this proves to be true?

The thing is you may find that the dampers wear out alot quicker as not all the travel is being used there fore putting more pressure lower down which standard dampers aren't designed for. False economy in my experience.

I have no problem with having to change the dampers at a later date.... Just economics.... This way I get what I want now and will have money to do more next year. Just my want it now attitude.... Don't mind if it costs a little more in the long run lol

Fitting to standard dampers - couple of people mentioned on here they had done the same and that the ride was quite good still??

Just wanted to get a more acceptable ride height at the lowest possible cost withouit ruining the ride. - hope this proves to be true?

I feared as much. Personally, for technical reasons, I would never consider this option m8

have a read of Redfox's extremely well detailed post on suspension & how to improve handling here.... http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?23595-The-Suspension-Discussion-Thread/page102

& I quote from that.... 'Don't fall for the temptation to install lowering sprng to the original dampers, as they need to be shorter in their body, to Work within their normal range when driving. Don't do it!'

thus the above implies that you will potentially ruin your 'ride' by fitting springs to dampers which they are not designed for

unfortunately there really is no cheap option when it comes to suspension & I would highly recommend replacing all the cars running gear as the new front wishbone bushes & rear beam bushes for example make such a difference to ride comfort

sorry to p155 on your fire m8, I just wanted to make you fully aware if you were not already

Gotta agree with gold finger. Do you want to take a risk. Yeah it may look better but wont look so hot when being towed out of a hedge cos the damper has given out. Your choice though.

God dam it!! Ha-ha - ok may have to revisit this - oh well I at least I have springs just need to look into suitable; dampers - any suggestions?

Sports exhaust may have to wait a while longer

And you say I need to replace bushes too - any idea of he cost of these? and part numbers? Ah well suppose buying the bits as I go along will spread the cost - just means I have to be patient which was never one of my strong points! 0- but I defer to the knowledge on this forum

Thanks guys for the advice

I had some H&R springs on standard shocks and didn't seem too bad, but only ran them for a few hundred miles so maybe not a good comparison.

Quite pleased with the H&R springs and Koni shocks, seemed to sit just right and also fitted the correct late type top mounts etc. I was never keen on the early mounts, they just don't seem a very tidy arrangement. Probably got some boge early top mounts if you need them.

God dam it!! Ha-ha - ok may have to revisit this - oh well I at least I have springs just need to look into suitable; dampers - any suggestions?

And you say I need to replace bushes too - any idea of he cost of these? and part numbers? Ah well suppose buying the bits as I go along will spread the cost - just means I have to be patient which was never one of my strong points! 0- but I defer to the knowledge on this forum

Thanks guys for the advice[/quote

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/corrado_suspension.php

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/corrado_suspension_rear.php

Or you could go powerflex but the is probably 3 times more expensive but worth it.

I had some H&R springs on standard shocks and didn't seem too bad, but only ran them for a few hundred miles so maybe not a good comparison.

Quite pleased with the H&R springs and Koni shocks, seemed to sit just right and also fitted the correct late type top mounts etc. I was never keen on the early mounts, they just don't seem a very tidy arrangement. Probably got some boge early top mounts if you need them.

Thanks Jim so the boge spring mounts will fit the eibach springs - as in same as the 110mm ones? PM me please let me know what you would like for them

So your happy with the KONI shocks - what's the part number/ price?

Thanks again all - I don't want to take bad short cuts - the car deserves more than that!

Thanks guys for the advice

as say I didn't want to pee on your fire m8 but I wanted you to know the risks / downsides of what you were planning.

I couldn't recommend any suitable lowered dampers sorry. when I researched suspension prior to buying the KW's I only really considered coilovers as they come in kit form & the damper is matched to the spring rate & their max / min damper travel.

my main concern was buying a reputable brand which had excellent reviews by both corrado & non corrado owners & also one which I could have some faith in. you hear / read lots of horror stories about cheap suspension / coilovers or unmatched springs & dampers. lots of stuff about how cheap suspension not only performs poorly but also don't last many miles. I think ive done about 55+ K miles on my V1's now

I decided on KW as all 3 versions get excellent reviews all round, you can deal with them direct (& I negotiated a discount with them to), I believe they will customise spring rates for you if you ask (check with kevin bacon as he says a slightly softer spring rate on the V1's gives a crackingly good balance), they are very reputable & used to make the suspension for the Porsche Carrera Cup cars ;)

suspension is one of the primary things that make a car what it is & should not be skimped on. kinda like tires as they actually make contact with the road you drive on & it makes sense that if your suspension cant keep the tire on the road properly then it can only be detrimental. it would be like turbo'ing a VR & then using 20 year old petrol to drive it.....bl00dy awful lol

as for the running gear m8 that was all tackled incrementally over a fairly long period. I don't have any part numbers to hand or costs sorry but it included:

track rod ends, drop links, cv joints, front wishbone bushes, rear beam bushes, front & rear suspension top mounts

I had the wishbone bushes & rear beam bushes done quite a while after installing my KW V1's & they made such a difference. a much more 'cushioned' feel to it whilst maintaining the superb cornering

I think rado's need to be a 'process of continual improvement' ;) lol

I hope that info helps but do check out the redfox post I linked as it is a brilliant read :)

Or you could go powerflex but the is probably 3 times more expensive but worth it.

act with caution if poly bushing as more often than not I believe they make the rado much harsher than most desire

IIRC it is a must to go with OEM rear beam bushes due to the way the beam is meant to have a degree of flex in it, as per its design, which a poly bush can remove

also, again IIRC, some people do install R32 front wish bone bushes as they are meant to be better than standard but personally I have found the OEM ones to be fine

same with gear box & engine mounts - I think many of the aftermarket options produce a higher degree of harsh ride. Personally I have changed the front & rear gearbox mounts for OEM & have a vibratechnics front engine mount with OEM rear

Thanks Jim so the boge spring mounts will fit the eibach springs - as in same as the 110mm ones? PM me please let me know what you would like for them

So your happy with the KONI shocks - what's the part number/ price?

Thanks again all - I don't want to take bad short cuts - the car deserves more than that!

I'll have to had a look at what i've got, i remember having to buy all the bits as sold all the old mounts and plates with the weitec suspension kit i had, i then went to to the KW V1's, then got the Koni/HR so had to buy everything again. Am sure i have early top mounts for the front, but not sure if i have the spring plates.

I'll have to had a look at what i've got, i remember having to buy all the bits as sold all the old mounts and plates with the weitec suspension kit i had, i then went to to the KW V1's, then got the Koni/HR so had to buy everything again. Am sure i have early top mounts for the front, but not sure if i have the spring plates.

Thanks Jim

act with caution if poly bushing as more often than not I believe they make the rado much harsher than most desire

IIRC it is a must to go with OEM rear beam bushes due to the way the beam is meant to have a degree of flex in it, as per its design, which a poly bush can remove

also, again IIRC, some people do install R32 front wish bone bushes as they are meant to be better than standard but personally I have found the OEM ones to be fine

same with gear box & engine mounts - I think many of the aftermarket options produce a higher degree of harsh ride. Personally I have changed the front & rear gearbox mounts for OEM & have a vibratechnics front engine mount with OEM rear

Thanks for yet more good advice

If you come over to get a sunroof motor sometime David I have some 2nd hand Koni's collecting dust that you can look at?

Ian.

Thanks for yet more good advice

happy to help share my experience's m8

the VR is a process of continual improvement & I always try to use the best parts which are either suitable or available

If you come over to get a sunroof motor sometime David I have some 2nd hand Koni's collecting dust that you can look at?

Ian.

Sounds like a plan Ian - cheers for that - just checking with my GF what we are up to for the next few weekends and will get back to you shortly

Thanks

David

And on that note have just received the reply..... I'm free on the weekend of 8th and 9th of August - would either of those days suit? - will have been paid again by then so will have some money ha-ha!

And on that note have just received the reply..... I'm free on the weekend of 8th and 9th of August - would either of those days suit? - will have been paid again by then so will have some money ha-ha!

Saturday the 8th seems fine @ present, perhaps tie the details up nearer the time?

Ian.

Saturday the 8th seems fine @ present, perhaps tie the details up nearer the time?

Ian.

Cheers Ian - I have pencilled that in and will contact you mid-week before to confirm - thanks again

David

Sorry if I misread, but do you mean it's possible to run the Konis with the late top mounts? Took me ages to realise they didn't match and I had early spring plates with late top mounts for a while which didn't sit right. Currently on the early top mounts

Meant running the top mounts with the H&Rs - the H&Rs I have need the early spring plate