Nweaver87

Light issues

Hey everyone, I'm having troubles with my headlights right now. They switch on but they're really dim and don't give me much of any light. I've taken a look at the wiring and can't fin any breaks or anything that could lead to this happening. It's both headlights that are effected and have no idea what it could be.

hello there

have you got a tool to check the voltage at the headlights?

not that is really matter as I would imagine that you are suffering from the usual standard headlight loom function - such that the voltage has to travel from the battery to the dash headlight switch & then back to the lights themselves.

this results in a less than satisfactory voltage at the lights themselves & as such you get candles for headlights

the easy fix is to get yourself a headlight loom upgrade & some better headlight bulbs

the loom upgrades are an easy install, but make sure you don't get an ebay special as they tend to be inferior, & essentially re-route the voltage so as it doesn't go to the dash switch & thus the lights get the full 12v+ the need

these are popular now that some other users no longer make them on this forum.....

http://www.rayneautomotive.co.uk/corrado/25-uk-spec-corrado-uprated-headlight-loom-.html?search_query=corrado&results=2&cate=

personally I have a KUR2Y uprated loom (he used to make & sell them on here) & use ring xenon ultima bulbs

I've taken a closer look and it looks to me that it already has a replacement loom. Would it be the same situation? Just replace the old loom?

I've taken a closer look and it looks to me that it already has a replacement loom. Would it be the same situation? Just replace the old loom?

Hmmmm odd - if it has an uprated loom the voltage should be ok

I would check the output at the lights with a volt meter & go from there. if you have over 12 volts it would imply your thoughts are correct

as your lights are working that would imply that any fuses or relays in said uprated loom should be ok - else you would have no light at all in some combination

thus if the above is all true it could just be the bulbs themselves are dim

unless the uprated loom that is fitted is itself loosing voltage - which could be proven by taking the voltage reading at the lights

FYI It had a uprated "plug and play" loom fitted in January mate from here http://www.rayneautomotive.co.uk/ so wouldn't have thought it would be that.

How is it getting on anyway?

Edited by awigman

So I finally got a multimeter on the wiring for the car. It looks like the relays from the uprated loom have gone bad. Is this common on these looms? From how it sounded they were supposed to be pretty good.