Dan7690

How do I get 240ish BHP from my G60

I'm in the process of making plans for my winter engine overhaul and I'm looking for advice/ideas in what to do to get some more power (240-250ish) out of the girl while keeping some reliability! So any advice???

Buy mine, lol. Seriously though you can get 250bhp reliably from a G60 and have it as a daily runner. Bore out to 1.9l, stage 4 charger, schrick cam, etc etc etc. A lot of work but worth it. Just remember to do the brakes, gearbox and suspension as well.

Glad to know it can be done, it's not necessarily going to be a daily but will be nice to know I can trust it if I take it for a long journey. Do you think I will struggle to get that sort of power down without a LSD? Are yours selling you JMC??

It can be done, but it isn't cheap or easy going from 220-230 to 250. Yep my car's up for sale Dan - just not getting used regularly at the moment, and would rather it went to someone who'll use it. Perfectly usable as a daily, and reliable as long as they're serviced regularly, and the oil chnages are done, and they're not caned before the oil is up to temperature.

Details are in the for sale section and a full spec is on the last page of my build thread. LSD would be good - but at the end of day it's down to throttle control. I have a Peloquin ATB on mine and it made it much more controllable, would recommend it to anyone with a tuned G60 as the increased torque makes them a handfull. I also have Racelogic traction control (but mainly for the Launch Control option :) ).

240ish BHP is achievable as john has proved with his 1.9l beast.

it can be done with a 1.8l engine, this requires a big valve head and a decent cam. matched inlet and exhaust manifold.

To get up around that figure you really need to overdrive the supercharger (not for the faint hearted... rebuild times are quite extreme) I ran mine with a 50mm pulley!!!

The last R/R result i have before going for a complete engine build was 247 BHP with 260ftlb torque @ 4700 rpm.

I didn't even realise you could get a 50mm pulley!! what do you mean by overdriving the supercharger? I'm confident in my charger though, I sent it down to john last year and he said it was in very good condition! I was considering going for a stage 5 porting but I don't know much about it the effects yet. New camshaft was on the list along with FMI, ported and polished head and inlet along with a good chip and remap. I was also thinking about getting it to a 1.9 but once again not sure how to go about doing this?????

50mm pulley is 'unusual' and will be either a special or a custom. I ran a 65mm pulley, and would not consider running anything smaller especially for a daily car. Recommended rebuild period was 20k for 65mm from memory as opposed to 30k for 68mm. I dread to think what it would be like for 50mm - 10 miles, lol? Going 1.9, requires a rebore, and forged pistons, different con rods. No point doing it without a fast road head and appropriate cam. Oh and a front mount intercooler - the standard one is pointless on a tuned engine. Put it this way, when I got my 1.9l engine built it came to about 4k with all the work and fitting (without the intercooler which I already had). Then there was the mapping etc etc. Of course you could just buy mine given it's all done ;)

A large front mount intercooler is a must. You can liberate over 200BHP easily with just a handful of proven modifications and I certainly never felt my old G60 was a slouch with 207BHP :)

Yes the service intervals were terrible using a 50mm pulley, about every 10-15k and that was with updates bearings and seals.

If you're going to go smaller than 65mm with the pulley I would also recommend getting a billet displacer for the charger.

I've now gone away from the g-lader and have a BBM twin screw in the bay instead... No servicing, no seals to worry about a done hell of a noise.

822c61cc585defd1faca82aa578e4ce1.jpg