Sign in to follow this  
Blair

Larger intercooler

At the risk of pimping someone else's For Sale thread, has anyone else installed a Golf intercooler in their G60? http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12153

Just wondering how much of a job it is - does it fit in the same location or is there a lot of pipework to be done?

And is it even worthwhile on a standard engine, or only really worth doing if you're running at least a chip & pulley?

Cheers :)

yeah, I've got one on my car... It's really easy to fit and only needs 2 small bits of casting cutting off the forward face of the endtanks so that the headlamps don't catch on it to make it fit into a Corrado... 8)

That one in the advert you linked to comes with all the pipes you'd need so it would be a plug and play style fitment... :)

Can't say how much difference it makes as I modded so much on my car at the same time, but I'd say that it should make a difference on a longish run 'cos the standard Corrado intercooler is tiny and gets heat soaked very quickly... :|

Well I put my car on the dyno's this weekend at Stealth, and a guy with a similar setup in his Corrado (except the Golf G60 intercooler) ran his car also..

I put out 207BHP, he put out 175BHP. Vince said that the bigger intercooler could make that much difference to your power output... also keeps the temperatures down nicely as well.

Dunno if thats enough of an incentive :)

It's not a massive job and well worth doing. In adittion to grinding away some of the IC casting you will need to make 2 small brackets to hold it in place behind the rad. I got my Golf G60 intercooler & and all the pipework from a seller in Germany delivered for a bargain £300!

Thanks guys :)

And thanks PhatVR6...that answers the second question that I hadn't asked I guess! ;)

Hey there,

I had my FMIC custom made by Pace Products, bir larger than Golf G60 one and it cost £400 all in, the quality is outstanding,

Cheers,

BigEastsideVWG60

i know im going to get shot down here but ive got no idea why some guys spend so much on the golf/rallye setup

i got forgemotorsport to make me up a intercooler thich cost me £225 including delivery and fits perfect where i need it and i think it will as good as the golf/rallye setups and its half the height of it

ok sadly now ive got the head ache of making up the boost pipe bits but still got another £200-250 to place with before i hit the asking price for these setups.

just my 2p's worth

I paid £120 for a golf intercooler from holland, and sold it at Inters last year for £300!!! LOL! muppets. :lol:

You won't get shot down by me :)

Seriously, it's all useful info. At the moment this is all tentative...I was going to sell the G60 and look for a Golf IV V6 4Motion (something a bit newer, fewer miles, but still quick and fun) but given the amount of work I'm doing on it this month (sorting all the bodywork, plus new shocks all round, top mounts, bump stops, rear bearings, rear discs, rear pads, rear calipers) I think I may just hold onto it for a little while :)

If I hold onto it, I'm tempted to start "improving" just a couple of things - I want to keep it largely standard (it's been kept bog-standard for the 5 years I've owned it) but tweaking a few areas sounds like it might be fun ;)

Well obviously as mine 'came with the car' then I suppose its easier to say that yeah, a custom made one which costs less is probably a better deal.

I guess a lot of people just like the OE kind of feel and the fact that you can pursue the intercooler and buy it without having to wait however long it would be for a company to custom fabricate one for you.

Alex - what did you do about all the pipework for your custom intercooler? I assume the standard Corrado G60 plumbing was no good as your new intercooler lives in a totally different place to the standard Corrado shoebox intercooler?

I paid £120 for a golf intercooler from holland, and sold it at Inters last year for £300!!! LOL! muppets. :lol:

lol u say muppets i say good business sense lol (sorry couldnt help myself)

also Jim my setup sadly being a 16v with the throttle on the otherside is completely different as you would know

Basiclaly im trying to get as much made up in metal and only use minimal hoses needed but because the intercooler can be mounted either top half of the slam panel or bottom its totally upto the user where he wants the pipe work to go :)

There is one advantage of the golf/rallye system people over look is that when ur in traffic and the rad fan come on it also sucks the air through the intercooler cooling everything down which is nice ;)

but im working on something different so thats not a prob for me lol

So I think the advantage for the 'OE' route is the ease of installation, not having to wait for the various companies to fabricate bits and pieces for the install.. but this route will cost you more than a custom setup, and probably won't look as flashy either :)

Pro's and con's broken down :)

Well no one mentions here that the raylle/golf mk2 intercooler fits in with original bumper and rad, you dont have to hack any bits off your slam pannel :lol: and alex you have a different bumper which allows you to fit this forge interccoler which you have. Some people want to keep the front stock and want an intercooler system which fits and its an original VW piece, no metal piping welding needed. I have a porsche intercooler in my g60 as you know but i could only fit it with the use of RS4 style front bumper, if i do it again id definatley spend the money on a mk2 g60 interccoler than going the long route of hacking bits of hte car and spending hours underneath it, also the golf ic flows very good, if you buy the kit you wont need to use an rs outlet, so is things like these which make me thing that the mk2 g60 interccoler kit with pipes and bends its worth the money.

..what LowG says above is spot on and the reason I was happy to spend the extra money on a VW Golf G60 intercooler, rather than having to arse around trying to get pipework made up to the correct sizes, get an intercooler the right spec, get the mounts made up etc etc etc... PLUS (and this is the biggie that NO-ONE else has mentioned yet :roll: ) the Golf G60 intercooler is BLOODY WELL MADE! :D I'd bet if you got a similar aftermarket one tested for efficiency the Golf G60 one would kill it both in terms of flow and of cooling efficiency... Afterall, this is basically a VW motorsport intercooler with smaller inlet/outlet pipes so it's had some amount of development work done on it to ensure that it's both reliable and good at it's job... 8)

Ker-plink, my tuppence worth... :p

Do you need to use the golf g60 rad as well or will it be ok with the corrado one?

yup, Golf rad is bigger, but Corrado rad fits in nicely... you may have to make up a small support bracket for the rad bottom mount behind the charger though, as the intercooler may push the corrado rad off that mount... Easy to do though, and well worth it! :D

Seen as I'm planning a x-flow head, will the Golf G60 intercooler fit ok with the new head on it?

Seen as I'm planning a x-flow head, will the Golf G60 intercooler fit ok with the new head on it?

In fact if you are planning on using a custom made manifold (log style) similar to 1.8T you can use this intercooler very well, would be best if your manifold intake will be positioned on the right side of the engine same as the g60 side, this way you will have very short tubing for the ic therefore less boost lost and faster response.

rgds

Not sure bout the inlet design yet, G-Man is doing that bit. It's just that I need to know if it will fit with the x-flow conversion.

Thanks for the quick reply Migs

RACK