Sign in to follow this  
elwigglero

smoking

while driving today, i smelled a weird burning odor. so i turned the heat on to see if i could smell it any better and smoke started to pour out from all my vents. no smoke coming from engine bay though. bad fan? any ideas would be appreciated. thanks

This happened to me too. I could do with an answer on it.

The problem I had was when I bought my Corrado, the fan would only work on setting 4, so I soldered in a thermal resistor.

After that the fan worked on 1 2 and 3, but only if you put it to 4 and then turned it down. It wouldn't switch on from 0.

I put it to 4, then down to 2 on the drive home from work the other day, but halfway home white smoke started pouring out the vents, so I switched off the fan and left it. It won't switch on at all now, and I'm worried that the blower motor is dead (expensive?).

Anyone got any pointers?

I finally got around to looking at this problem. It's a short in the cable somewhere, so the relevant piece of cable just needs replaced. Just thought I'd add that in case it happens to someone else.

hmmmm might be something similar that im experiencing..... my setting 4 has recently started to become either intermittent of no existent!

i will have to have the centre section out of the dash again to investigate it!

The probelm I had was in my resistor pack. The thermal fuse had been soldered on with too much solder. Due to the temperature that the unit reaches in operation, the solder had melted and made contact with a mouting for the coil, causing the short circuit. I just removed some of the solder and it's fine now.