Sign in to follow this  
Rossco

box problem

My box just shat out all its oil, ive been having a lot of issues with it lately so i havent actually looked at it yet. Is there any common places where the rad box is known to leak?

Cheers guys

My box just shat out all its oil, ive been having a lot of issues with it lately so i havent actually looked at it yet. Is there any common places where the rad box is known to leak?

Cheers guys

don't want to worry you too much but it could well have a hole in the housing/casing etc :shock: .............apart from its loss of oil........has it been problematic with anything else????

for it to just lose it all like that it's likely that something has broken through the casing. seals usually leak oil gradually rather than fail catastrophically.

have a good look (if you can bear the smell) and see if there are any tell tale signs of here it's come from.

and be sure it's gear oil, and not engine oil leaking out of the main crankshaft oil seal, which will look like it's coming out of the bell housing.

It deffo box oil i can tell this because i had a good looky at the big patch it left and it was smellin super bad, engine oil doesnt smell that bad, plus it was clear cos i just changed the box oil and i havent changed the lump oil for a while and its dirty. Can a hole be prepared? :mad:

if there's a hole in it, it' likely to have come from a broken component inside exiting the casing........in which case, the box could be goosed, and most probably is.

UNLESS, the oil you just put in was too this and has p1ssed it's way past a seal, or you left the drain or refil plug loose.

check the speedo drive too.

Does the clutch slip now? Ragged my old 8v Golf and the diff shot one of its bolts through the casing and into the clutch housing. Didn't hear anything, just noticed the clutch slipping, got home and I had left a trail of oil all the way home. :roll: Was going to sell it aswell, not really a good advertisment for directions.. 'just follow the trail of oil from the main road'. :) Changed the box and kept it until the oil had dissappeared in the end.

Nah i dont think so i drove it home and it drove pretty sweet, if it has popped a hole in it then i know exactly wot it would be, i will keep the script updated :lol:

i was put raggin my old golf, and first gear blew up. :!: shashin a big hole in the side of the box and loosing all drive,, looking back at it, quite funny really,, not that this helps you in any way,.. sorry. unless you find a big hole, and lots of teeth on the road side, :lol:

I've got some good pics of my old vr box. I snapped the diff pin on that, it came through the casing and landed on top of the gear shifter cables! one of the spider gears in the diff left via the diff casing, and the other went through the bell housing and mashed the clutch.

hence the new box....