stuarttaylor37

crackpipe

Hi

Anyone got any tips for fitting one?

I removed mine and replaced it with a Topran one as part of a thermostat and housing kit as supplied by Tierod (Ebay seller)

I took my time cleaning out where it fits into the block with a dremel so that it was as clean as I could get it. It was a really tight fit, I lightly lubed it with some silicone grease but the only way I could get it in was to line it up place a block of wood over the other end and tap it with a hammer. It eventually went in but shaved some rubber off the seal and after putting it all back together it leaks!

Obviously got to do it all again but wondered if anyone had got any idea what I'm doing wrong or if the Topran ones are just not a good fit?

Thanks

If it was still a tight fit after cleaning it up, id say you didnt clean it enough. Clean it till its smooth all the way around.

I thought I'd done a pretty thorough job with a mini brass wheel followed by a few mins with a flap wheel

You prob did but worth double checking since you damaged the o ring.

Yeah I'll check when I take it all apart again..I was wondering do I try another topran part, try an oe vw one or try a metal one with a few spare seals in case I cock it up again. I dont mind the cost, I just dont want to take the front off three times

Who even uses the drain on the crack pipe? Just drain it from the lowest hose on the radiator ;)

I got the Topran earlier... it was total crap!

The thermostat house had a big gap in it because of the twisted ass plastic from factory. And the pipe didnt fit! Just like yours.

Buy genuine or any other make... Meyle makes good parts!

The secret is heat the seal with a hairdryer before you put it in, applies anytime really but especially in winter, just feel differences in softness of rubber, put a Topran in before, just fitted a VW one on cold day and both push straight under hand pressure when warm, never hit them with a hammer or anything else, guarantee you'll wreck seal and it'll leak. If won't push in somethings wrong or rubbers too cold and not pliable. Little bit of WD40 does no harm, a little bit.

Especially applies to the fuel pressure regulator thing, impossible in or out without heat.

Hairdryer normally, warm don't toast it, hot air gun for hardened rubber suspension bushes if you use them.