corrado wannabe

New Audi TT

I thought seeing as my wife has now had the new car for a few weeks, I would give you all some thoughts on it.

Car in question is a 2015 TT S-line Ultra 2.0Tdi and came with delivery miles on the clock.

Having some time ago been fortunate enough to drive an R8 V10 Plus, and seeing some of the comments on the forum about how that was a car almost in the spirit of the Corrado, I couldn't quite see the comparison, however this TT, and in spite of it being diesel does have a remarkable similarity to the Corrado.

First of all driving position. The TT still has that low to the ground feeling of the C but somehow for a larger car, manages to feel more cramped inside than the Corrado. I think this is probably something to do with the windows and roof line of the TT.

Overall the TT feels slightly more raw than the Corrado which I did not expect. The ride is not as complaint as my standard Corrado is, but does have the same point and go feel to the steering.

Strangely the diesel engine noise adds to the TT's raw sportiness. There is a "dynamic" button on the TT that apart form a few other things, opens up valves in the exhaust to produce a "roartier" noise.

As we are still running the car in a bit I cant comment on on the limit handling, however it does feel a very planted car (non Quattro) and certainly feeds back well through the steering wheel a la the Corrado.

The revelation for me though is the diesel engine, having previously owned a 170bhp A4 Tdi this newer engine seems to be on a different planet, when accelerating, it loses its "dieselness" noise and coupled with the exhaust noise does sound and pull like a fast petrol engine.

Of course the added bonus is £20 pounds a year road tax and a claimed 60 miles to the gallon. (The latter I am a bit sceptical about)

Inside the seats are comfortable, if not overly hugging, but well appointed with leather and alcantara. There is a huge amount of tech, as to be expected with a modern vehicle, but it actually detracts from the car for me. It is really hard to ignore the tech and just enjoy driving the car which is obviously a point the Corrado has in its favour in terms of raw driving pleasure.

The dash pod is now a TV screen and has a "gran tourismo" play station feel to it due to lack of analogue needles and dials.

Overall, very impressed so far with the car, and does feel a much better car than the series 1 TT we owned some years ago.

Despite being a diesel, I would say it is possibly a modern Corrado we all look for. Our car is Scuba blue, which when next to the Aqua blue is not that far away colour wise. It was also interesting when ordering, that we noticed some of the Corrado colours listed as options, Mystic blue being a surprise to see.

Dougie

All this talk and no pictures...

Love the dials too... Just bought a new style a4 sline, with these dials.. Do you have the convential door handles that lift upwards...

I swapped my 4 series BMW with it, much better motor car.

Ha I know, its not true until there is picture proof!

If I hadn't stuck the Corrado in the garage behind a tonne of stuff it would have been good to get a picture of them both side by side. But I will get some pics up soon.

I was sitting in the new A4 in the showroom and the new door handles were something I noticed! No the TT still has the corrado style two part handles, I think, from memory. D'you know I'm doubting that now!

I like what the new slim line dashboard has done in the A4, given it a much more roomy feel.

I think in a couple of years we will be looking at the new A5 which is due out this year. Have you seen the TT sportback?! Its all getting a bit much!

Scooba (Scuba) metallic blue.

Not sure how much I will get to see of the TT, I have ended up with a 1.7 tdi Astra SRi to hoon about the roads in!

By the way, don't think I have seen any pictures of your A4 yet either!

I remember asking you about the 4 series when you were about to get rid of it.

Traded the BMW in, worked out quite well BMW dealer next to the Audi dealer took it. Under book price but the amount Audi gave me towards the new car balanced the books.

Thought people would be more interested in the corrado than the Audi....

That met blue is a nice colour. Enjoy.