FrankyEight

Bring out my paintwork..

My Corrado has been neglected in its past life (I don't think the spoiler had ever been lifted when cleaned!) if it ever was cleaned...

Anyhow, after a good wash the car looks great but it doesn't last. Can anyone suggest a decent cleaning product that might give my Sherry Pearl paintwork a new lease of life?

Am I right in thinking AutoGlym are decent products for this? And, if so, which particular AutoGlym product?

Thanks in advance.

I'm a big fan of Menzerna polishes (obviously once things have been prepped), and Meguiars Wash and Wax anywhere with a quality microfibre. The paint was pretty good when I got it but I flatted it out with a denim pad, polished it up with the Menzerna range and now birds fly into the side of it. The Meguiars is the best detailer I've come across (tried Bouncers, chemical guys, Dodo and a few others) but nothing gets close to it. It must be said that mine isn't a daily but when it's used it's always flawless as the QD takes 5 mins.

Autoglym super resin polish is a decent polish that I use.

Firstly I would wash it thoroughly, then clay the whole car before polishing to remove all the contaminants. Then a good polish to remove or fill small imperfections before a good wax and sealant.

The difference the clay bar makes to a panel is unbelievable, rough beforehand but smooth as silk after doing all the above.

Proms Amigo is another very very good polish :thumbleft:

As mentioned a good wash.

Iron removal http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/auto-finesse-iron-out-cat6.html

Clay bar http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/bilt-hamber-auto-clay-medium-cat7.html

Polish http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/meguiars-ultimate-compound-cat8.html

Although it would be far better to get the car machined polished all the way through the stages from compound to fine finish, i expect you dont have access to a polisher or D/A .

Autoglym Super resin polish has is a chemical cleanser with high fillers in it, if you decide to go down that route make sure you seal it as the next time you wash the car the fillers that you previously polished into the car will just be removed.

Autoglym sealant.http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/autoglym-extra-gloss-protection/prod_743.html

Personally i would go down the route of polish then apply a sealant such as this http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/carlack-sealant-kit/prod_358.html

all good info ^, you might find you have a lot of small scratchs from over the years from poor cleaning and general age which will need machine polishing out usng compounds, the clear coat on a car is harder then you think and doing it by hand with some products wont necessarily remove them but might give the illusion that you have, as the scratchs get filled by these products , wont be long before its looking its age again,

if you do decide to buy a machine polisher and compounds etc then be warned you can cause a serious amount of harm in seconds!!, as my friend rick found out when he buffed through the clear coat and colour coat down to primer on his bonnet! look on you tube for tips and advice, but basically stay the hell away from the edges and anywhere that forms a corner or almost like a corner, keep it flat and apply firm pressure otherwise you wont get anywhere and mask off any trims or areas you don't want compound in as it can be a bitch to clean off

On a metallic finished car try and stay away from waxes as they tend to "mute" the metallic sparkle , sealants are the best option as it tends to pull the flake out and make it sparkle more.

Also watch when layering up products as although it sounds like you are giving the best protection, many brands and products don't mix too well, thus giving not the best overall finish and it also affects durability as they don't bond correctly.

Using a wax over SRP, depending on which wax it is can strip off the fillers initially laid down!Ask yourself this does Autoglym recommend this? Maybe a reason why!

It's also a good idea to learn how to apply/remove wax properly, too many people do not understand it's properties and correct application and fail to get the best out of it.

Buy a good quality natural wax, cheap waxes tend to leave white residue on seals and plastic trims, natural carnauba wax can be applied to seals and moisturise and protect them at the same time.

^ spot on.

When I use SRP I put a coat of wax and a coat of sealant on.

Although SRP acts as a sealant, I find that a further coat of wax enhances the finish. Then I have the wax I use, own wax sealant to pop over the wax and the car really sparkles after it all.

It is solid white though and not metallic.

I only use wax on my Ceramic coated daily and same on my similarly coated VR6.

Everyone had there own ideas :thumbleft: