Sign in to follow this  
Roger Blassberg

2.0 l 16V engine code ABF

My other car is....... a Passat estate wth the ABF engine, 150 PS 16V.

It lacks low end torque, which, as you can imagine in such a car, means lots of gearchanging. Having got used to the VR6, it's even more noticeable.

Any suggestions for beefing up the torque curve, at a reasonable price?

Best wishes

RB

pm ess_three from this forum......he's got one nicely modded Mk3 16v (ABF engined)anniversary........ :wink: ....say no more :wink:

Thanks, I will do that.

It's a '94 Passat GT ( LHD, supplied in Germany). Suspension, brakes, wheels are VR6 spec. A good load carrier, 235 000 km recorded. Very reliable (except window lifters and heated mirror elements.) Needs to be rowed along on the gearbox. Any suggestions on more low-speed torque would be welcomed, based on Corrado experience. I suppose the ultimate would be to drop in a VR6 but that's going a bit far.........

Best wishes

RB

Thanks, I will do that.

It's a '94 Passat GT ( LHD, supplied in Germany). Suspension, brakes, wheels are VR6 spec. A good load carrier, 235 000 km recorded. Very reliable (except window lifters and heated mirror elements.) Needs to be rowed along on the gearbox. Any suggestions on more low-speed torque would be welcomed, based on Corrado experience. I suppose the ultimate would be to drop in a VR6 but that's going a bit far.........

Best wishes

RB

you won't significantly improve on the torque characteristics of the 16v engine, in fact the ABF is pretty much VW's last effort with this engine going back to the scirocco 16v. It doesn't help that the late passat estate is probably the heaviest car that this engine type was ever fitted to. Short of a slightly increased displacement(expensive and not as reliable) or engine transplant (vr6) there's not much you can do, I'd imagine the passat ABF already has flatter cams to help low end, and gas-flowing the head will only really affect top end. The one possible option is different gearing, as bigger VW's tend to be geared for the Autobahn rather than nipping round town. a close ratio box can transform a car that has been blighted by a long legged one, but I'm not sure what boxes would be suitable from the VW/Seat/Skoda range. VW did fit the G60 engine to passats (Canadian car I believe) and I'd imagine the strong torque characteristics of this engine worked fairly well in the passat.

As the passat came with a 2.8 VR6 anyway in europe, I'd go for one of those as a new purchase rather than the effort of a transplant though. you could then put your ABF in a mk2 golf (which is really the best home for it IMO :) )

David.

David, thanks for this. Yes, the whole problem is further exaggerated by unsuitable gear ratios, with a huge gap between 3 and 4 to give fast Autobahn capability.

I saw a VR6 for sale about a year ago but someone else saw it first! They were very rare in this country.

Best wishes

RB

David, thanks for this. Yes, the whole problem is further exaggerated by unsuitable gear ratios, with a huge gap between 3 and 4 to give fast Autobahn capability.

I saw a VR6 for sale about a year ago but someone else saw it first! They were very rare in this country.

Best wishes

RB

There's 2 on autotrader at the moment 8)

I had a very detailed PM from Ess Three on this - a public "thank you" for that.

Another thread then caused a brain-wave- is it possible to put a G-Lader onto the existing ABF engine? If so, what is involved? What problems could I expect, apart from the obvious slight difficulty of pushing the pistons straight past the rods, and talking my insurance company into accepting the idea.....?

It may be a little far-fetched, but if such a thing as a G60 Synchro Passat exists then it may be that all of the difficulties have been sorted out already. And anyway, it's an interesting intellectual exercise which everyone will enjoy!!

Finally, apologies that Passat-related questions have crept onto this hallowed ground.

Best wishes

RB

thanks Chris. Is that neutered cat still on the prowl....? I'm still interested.

Best wishes

RB

Yes

Been very busy of late but I havent forgotten.