dannyp

VR6 misfire and oil covered spark plugs...

My 1995 vr6 developed a misfire the other day having been misfiring intermittently over the past couple of months. It's now turned into a constant misfire, sounds like it's missing a cylinder and down on power, bit like a Subaru. Starts fine and idles ok, just rough and emissions smell very rich.MPG also seems to have dropped a little.

Coil pack and leads were replaced less than 2 years ago (15k miles) so I tried the next most obvious thing and replaced the plugs today. See pictures attached - plug number 2 (bottom left on diagram of all 6) is covered in oil, although it hasn't reached the electrode. Plug 1, top left, is also quite bad. Changing the plugs has not cured the misfire though so I'm scratching my head for ideas now!

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what to try next before I give up and take it to the garage?

Cheers!

Dan

Edited by dannyp

Mine was like that. I think oil from leaking cam cover gasket gathers there.

I wouldn't dismiss the coilpack and leads even though they have been changed.

Have you got vagcom/vcds?

Mine was like that. I think oil from leaking cam cover gasket gathers there.

I wouldn't dismiss the coilpack and leads even though they have been changed.

Have you got vagcom/vcds?

Cheers Jim. No vagcom unfortunately so if anyone in the south London area is willing to help then let me know!

I've had a good look at the coil pack and no visible cracks. All leads seem tightly pushed onto the coil pack, and no wet weather related misfiring, and no improvement as the engine warms up.

Any other ideas?!

Dan

Try a cylinder drop test. You'll need a incandescent test light connected to ground. Start the engine and then remove one plug wire at a time, ensuring the test light is held closest to the exposed plug wire. The spark from the plug wire will ground through the test light. When you remove the plug wire from a good cylinder the rpm will drop and engine idle will deteriorate. When yo get to the cylinder with the constant misfire removing the plug wire will have no effect on rpm or idle. Focus on that cylinder. That's the easy way to test without diagnostic equipment.