VR6Pete

Replacing rear axel bushes - what else?

So replacing my rear axel bushes as perished.

Bargain at £48 !

b646e193079309704d55475b402be3cc.jpg

What other parts / VoLTE am I likely to need to complete the job and to refresh any other bits and bobs during the process.

Cheers

Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They seem to have changed the design of these powerflex bushes, mine had 3 grooves in them, which let water in and rotted out the mounting point on my axle.

You may want axle bolts and nuts to go with them.

not to be annoying but are OEM bushes not better than poly's for rear beam due to the nature of the 'flex' the rear setup is designed to give?

They seem to have changed the design of these powerflex bushes, mine had 3 grooves in them, which let water in and rotted out the mounting point on my axle.

You may want axle bolts and nuts to go with them.

Mine must be older stock then as doesn't have any grooves in them.

Do you have part numbers for associated bolts / nuts? Would prefer to replace.

Are rear bolts that hold subframe on stretch bolts ? also would like part number to those too.

not to be annoying but are OEM bushes not better than poly's for rear beam due to the nature of the 'flex' the rear setup is designed to give?

Vince @ Stealth recommended the powerflex bushes. They also much easier to fit as will be a DIY job at home with a trolley jacks.

Already have KW1 setup and quite firm - I like the handling. but there is quite a bit of movement in the bushes already so has to be better than what I have now and will still flex. Car is not a daily and does less than 3k miles a year and will be running the strip next year.

Not looking forward to the job to be honest as never had rear axel off yet. but least brake compensator and lines are new and associated suspension components.

I bought mine years ago, maybe 5yrs+ So would hope they got rid of the grooves. I haven't got the part numbers to hand but you could try vagcat

Vince @ Stealth recommended the powerflex bushes. They also much easier to fit as will be a DIY job at home with a trolley jacks.

Already have KW1 setup and quite firm - I like the handling. but there is quite a bit of movement in the bushes already so has to be better than what I have now and will still flex. Car is not a daily and does less than 3k miles a year and will be running the strip next year.

Not looking forward to the job to be honest as never had rear axel off yet. but least brake compensator and lines are new and associated suspension components.

i see & yes i understand the bushes can be a pain to get back in

it was the brake compensator which played up on my VR, it pretty much refused to come out & had to be butchered

i too have KWV1's on the VR & though they are simply sublime on smooth tarmac the state of our pothole covered, uneven, stone chip surfaced, good damn awful UK roads means they can be a bit jiggly for a daily as mine is

i took the valver to work today, after it got a clean sheet at the MOT last week, & the soggy suspension on that is more comfortable but doesnt like being driven hard

be interested to hear your thoughts on the poly's once fitted m8 :)

Mine must be older stock then as doesn't have any grooves in them.

Do you have part numbers for associated bolts / nuts? Would prefer to replace.

Are rear bolts that hold subframe on stretch bolts ? also would like part number to those too.

try the suppliers section for user ThursDave & drop him a line - he works in the parts dept of a VW branch & can get you the part numbers & prices etc ;)

The genuine rear beam bushes are designed to flex to give something called passive rear steer, I.e they deflect under hard cornering to give better handling.

The genuine rear beam bushes are designed to flex to give something called passive rear steer, I.e they deflect under hard cornering to give better handling.

thats the point i was trying to raise :)

So a load of cr4p then as they are the same bushes as the mk2 and mk3 golf. It's just that VW made a big song and dance about them on the Corrado let's face it a bit of rubber flexing is hardly rear passive steering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk