Sign in to follow this  
cheesy

Getting my 16v to run a little cooler

Before my head gasket blew the start of last yr the cars water temp ran really cool, the cars not really been driven that much since maybe 2 thousand miles tops, but just seems to run a lot warmer these days. As far as i know the oil still runs around the same temp.

Can people suggest anything i could do ?

I've only started looking into it, so any help appreiated,

Different Fan Set-up?

Mocal Oil Cooler?

chris

how did the gasket blow?

Ie. oil into water, water into oil, compression into oil / water / both / outside world, etc etc etc....

There's so many different ways a head gasket can blow that there could be many different and valid answers to this question.... :?

Hell, it could be something as simple as changing the water temp sender... :roll: :lol: 8)

give us some details and we'll see what comes out.... 8) :mrgreen:

Well, last week I put a 4" hole in the plastic trim that sits between the rad and the offside headlight in the engine bay, and she seems to run about 5 to 10 degrees cooler on a run, which has really surprised me. Worth a try perhaps, as well as looking in to all the above. How hot does she get? Around 100 degrees is pretty normal I beleive, is it higher than that?

Before my head gasket blew the start of last yr the cars water temp ran really cool, the cars not really been driven that much since maybe 2 thousand miles tops, but just seems to run a lot warmer these days. As far as i know the oil still runs around the same temp.

Different Fan Set-up?

Mocal Oil Cooler?

chris

what do you mean by heavily modified 16v???

David.

mate doesnt matter on the engine all 16v run hot ive never known one to run cool

ok first of all a oil coole ris a must will drop temps about 20-30%

after that a bigger rad if you want like i was running on my car which was a VR rad 2L 16v aircon water hoses and a passat twin fans which funnily enough i have on ebay at the mo

on motorway water temps would be able 70-75 and oil about 80-85 thrashing the hell out of it is about for water 90 and oil about 100 and thats really rerally trying

Different Fan Set-up?

Mocal Oil Cooler?

chris

what do you mean by heavily modified 16v???

David.

Judging by some of the pics in the link off his profile, I'm willing to bet he's kept the local body shop in business :lol:

aposegil, Can you give me a few pointers on a decent oil cooler brand and prices to fit to KR 16v? Ta!

hello mate

i would say the mocal ones are the best and availabe everywhere

I have a 13row one but might be upgrading soon to a longer one so the oil spends more time in there and due to the extra mods

but a 13 row is more than enought for any 16v and a must for G60's in my opinion :)

as for price the universal kits should be about £70-£80

hello mate

i would say the mocal ones are the best and availabe everywhere

I have a 13row one but might be upgrading soon to a longer one so the oil spends more time in there and due to the extra mods

but a 13 row is more than enought for any 16v and a must for G60's in my opinion :)

as for price the universal kits should be about £70-£80

Cheers, let us know if you want to sell your 13 row one on!

how did the gasket blow?

Ie. oil into water, water into oil, compression into oil / water / both / outside world, etc etc etc....

There's so many different ways a head gasket can blow that there could be many different and valid answers to this question.... :?

Hell, it could be something as simple as changing the water temp sender... :roll: :lol: 8)

give us some details and we'll see what comes out.... 8) :mrgreen:

Water into oil, heard something about temp sender any part no.s for these?

The water temp used to run mainly on 80 then got to 90 in traffic. no it runs 90 and 100 in traffic.

You can see the heat haze coming out the vents on the bonnet, i would of thought with these it would help keep her cooler

It just seems a big incresase in water temp since the head gasket was done. i Pressumme the oil temp is ok as my mfa is screwed at the mo

euww.... that's what mine's just done (all fixed now though! 8) ) it's naaaasty to clean out... :?

Anyway, 'cos it went that way around, it's unlikely that the water temp senders, thermostat, radiator or water pump have been contaminated by oil, or damaged by excess pressure in the waterways, although I'd still be tempted to change the water temp sender anyway just to confirm that it's not over-reading (just changed both on mine, just in case ;) )

A 10 degree change isn't that much to be honest... the concentration of antifreeze that was put back into the coolant system could add a few degrees onto the temps, and the gauge ain't exactly accurate anyway! ;) :roll: My old valver used to run at 90/100 all the time with oil temps at around 105 normally rising to around 115 in traffic, and that was bog standard and in great condition... 8) Something simple like that added with the summer weather, could well account for the change... I wouldn't be suprised if the heat hazes were there before and you're only noticing 'em now 'cos you're still a little paranoid about the engine since the gasket went... ;) 8)

Check the simple things like the heat of the top hose compared with the bottom hose when warm to ensure that the thermostat is working properly, and check that the fan is working properly and is getting a full 12V with clean contacts on everything including all of the earths to the engine (including all of the smaller ones onto the head etc) as if may even be an electrical fault making the gauge over-read slghtly....

Personally, I'd keep a good eye on it and make sure that it never goes above about 110 water and 120 oil temps and that the oil and water levels are constant over a few weeks, and then I'd forget about it and just keep my normal paranoid eye on the warning lights and gauges waiting for the next thing to go wrong! ;) :roll: :lol: 8)

Good luck with it mate, hope it's all OK... 8)

I fitted a set of air horns for a laugh, and removed the old horns completely. The air flow to the rad now makes my engine run at 90 (coolant), where as before it always run at 100 or above. It suprised me what a difference it made. (I fitted the air horns under the n/s head light, well out of the way of the rad)

...the gauge ain't exactly accurate anyway!

they're pretty good actually, I had my car down at my Dad's garage last week and we put the MOT test oil probe in the sump, it read 106 degrees. I have two oil temp senders one on the head and one on the oil cooler/filter bracket, head read 108 degrees and the other 104 degrees on the MFA (swapping the wiring between the senders), makes sense that the oil temp at the head would be a bit hotter.

I had been a bit concerned about the temps (I'm still on less than 1000 miles on a new engine) and this at least confirmed my senders are about right. next time I'm going to try the laser temperature probe, that's well cool, just point it at a part of the engine and it gives you a temp reading!

David.

I was on about the water temp gauge being not exactly accurate... ;) The MFA's pretty good for what it is to be fair... 8)