Jim Bowen

Aquariums?

Not sure if I've asked this before on here.

Anyone got an aquarium(s). I used to have them, 3 at once at one point, but got rid of everything about the time i got the corrado, so 10yrs back.

Am owed about £250 by the local aquarium shop, so thinking of getting a new tank.

Not sure what i want though so just looking for ideas. Never had a marine tank, but only got room for something about 120-150ltr.

Currently only got 2 tanks (used to have 11 a few years back), a 10x2x2 tropical freshwater, and a 8x2x2.5 marine. Happy to help with any advise if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Any pics of the tanks? I like the look of fully planted tanks, but not sure i have the patience for it at the moment.

I see lighting has moved on a bit, always wanted an external filter but never got round to upgrading. Think it was ehiem i was looking at.

f7ed0b6d329bd8f6a16a6cfb4e680f05.jpg

e3b4329935edb65e8b7006c2a967c8be.jpg

These are the two tanks.

For external filters, there are lots of good ones about head days. Eheims are well built and go on forever, Fluval ones have always served me well too. The 10 foot tank runs two Fluval Fx5's and an Aquamanta EFX 600. Can't fault it either, cheap compared to the Eheims and Fluvals, but performs really well. The specific models I've got would be too big for your plans, but the smaller brother models would all work well. Tetratec canisters are also good.

The marine tank runs a sump, and given my time gain with the freshwater tank, I'd have gone sump on that as well.

I've had big tanks before but my current home doesn't have space (ok she's not into fish) so I opted for one of the larger nano tanks, a Fluval Edge 46.

Photograph is from when I initially set up with real plants but I've now gone for plastic plants and it looks tip top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84547[/ATTACH]

f7ed0b6d329bd8f6a16a6cfb4e680f05.jpg

e3b4329935edb65e8b7006c2a967c8be.jpg

These are the two tanks.

For external filters, there are lots of good ones about head days. Eheims are well built and go on forever, Fluval ones have always served me well too. The 10 foot tank runs two Fluval Fx5's and an Aquamanta EFX 600. Can't fault it either, cheap compared to the Eheims and Fluvals, but performs really well. The specific models I've got would be too big for your plans, but the smaller brother models would all work well. Tetratec canisters are also good.

The marine tank runs a sump, and given my time gain with the freshwater tank, I'd have gone sump on that as well.

Wow, really smart, like them a lot :)

With a sumped tank, how does that link to the filters?

I've had big tanks before but my current home doesn't have space (ok she's not into fish) so I opted for one of the larger nano tanks, a Fluval Edge 46.

Photograph is from when I initially set up with real plants but I've now gone for plastic plants and it looks tip top.

What fish you got in there?

Wow, really smart, like them a lot :)

With a sumped tank, how does that link to the filters?

Thanks

If it is pre-built with sumps in mind then holes are drilled in the tank, with a weir round them to over flow and be taken down to the sump via the pipe work. You can see some of the pipe work in this pic. I have 4 drain and 2 return pipes drilled.

da3b3d14f7957dc8b50e1af831f94b35.jpg

If the tank isn't drilled, you can buy add on overflows/weirs, or make durso standpipes to take the water down to a sump.

None in when the photograph was taken but now have neon's, harlequin's, bristle nose plec, couple of shrimps, polkadot loaches

I've got a red Sea max 130 marine tank brill tank spend more time watching me tank then the TV lol

probably more interesting if you have a partner who hogs the tv like mine.

I've always been a freshwater man. Owned a few tanks but my latest and biggest is a 280L malawi mbuna tank. People always say it looks like a marine tank. Mainly because of the rock I've used. Very basic set up for these guys though, just sand and rocks. A god option to get the look without the price Other than that I've had many south american cichlids and bred them. [ATTACH=CONFIG]84584[/ATTACH]