Sign in to follow this  
SeanTheRed

o2 sensor

Have you only changed the oxygen sensor :?

I hope you have done it with the ignition off or even the battery disconnected... :!:

What kind of sensor have you bought? :idea:

The entire sensor including harness and connector? Or you another type of sensor and had to weld the wires?

Battery was removed while I was changing it, and just replaced it as well.

It was just a bosch sensor, not the harness/connector. I've done plenty of soldering work in the past, and made my living at it for a year or so, so I can assure you that the connections are good.

Since nothing else changed, I am guessing that either the wires on the sensor are bad, or the sensor itself are bad, however buying another one is not something I really want to do.

your car would still start even if you had no lambda sensor attached at all... it'd run like a sack of cack, but it'd run... :?

Check the wiring to the battery, sounds more like you've knocked a wire off or loose when removing the battery... :|

What exactly does the engine do as it fails to start? will it turn over? fire up and then die? etc etc etc.... ?

I know there´s no connection...

But it seems like a dodgy ignition switch! :lol:

Get a multimeter and check vital points!

That´s what i would do... :?

yup, with you there Kongo, could well be the ignition switch, or could also be the earth strap to the gearbox or live cable to the starter which you'd have disturbed removing the battery...

i saw the car yesterday and when you try and start the car it just keeps trying to turn it over. but the car just isnt having it. when it gets close to actually starting the car just sputters and stops. something isnt right at all. any ideas?

clean up the contacts on the battery, starter motor and the earth point on the gearbox, check that they're all nice and tight, then give it another go... :)

If it's TRYING to catch, your switch is working OK and it could be down to a crappy starter motor which needs either cleaning or replacing...

i have heard bad starters before, they normally sound like crap. but when this trys to start it sounds fine really. it just wont start. and like i said before, when it sounds like it is going to start, it just lugs for a few turns and stops.

right, lets start with the basics...

Have you got fuel coming out of the injectors? Have you got a spark on the plugs?

You say it won't turn over, then you say it turns over a few turns and then stops... which is it?

Can you bump start it? Have you tried?

What EXACTLY happens when you turn the key to ignition? do the ignition lights all come on as normal? What then happens when you turn the key to start?

Which engine have you got?

If you give us some more detail, people may be able to help, without the details there's not a hope in hell of sorting the problem.... :|