Marty63

Flat battery

Evening fellow rado owners,I'm after some help I fitted a new battery in march this year and it's dead already nothing no dash lights zilch the only electrical stuff I've done to the car is fit a different headlight loom from Rayner automotive and a new Sony head unit,admittedly I've not used car for about two months but a battery shouldn't go flat that quick any help or advice very much appreciated.

Evening fellow rado owners,I'm after some help I fitted a new battery in march this year and it's dead already nothing no dash lights zilch the only electrical stuff I've done to the car is fit a different headlight loom from Rayner automotive and a new Sony head unit,admittedly I've not used car for about two months but a battery shouldn't go flat that quick any help or advice very much appreciated.

Battery's go flat without charging I'm afraid... it needs trickle charging if you don't use it or charging at least every month the cold weather doesn't help either... I don't use my car the battery can be flat after about a month. I change my battery regularly too.

It could be possible that you have a drain somewhere too.

Delfinis38 thanks for the quick reply,I guess I will be removing battery and giving it a trickle charge,I need to give it a good run too,will also get car checked just in case there drain somewhere,cheers again

If you own a multi-meter its fairly easy to check the current draw to see if its excessive. The usual culprits are glove box, boot lights aftermarket stereos and alarms.

I have to agree with the previous post, I'm not surprised if unused for 2 months it's flat.

Edited by marks2

Agreed. 2 months is an eternity for one of these cars without being used. The battery will be totally dead by then.

I've a hefty Bosch Silver fitted to mine, even at 3-4 weeks without use and kept out of the elements in a garage, cranking can be a bit of a gamble. Only just fired the other day and sounded like it was right at the point of giving up! If I leave my VR for any significant period of time I just disconnect the battery. ECU seems to re-learn values and settle down pretty quickly.

You also don't know how long your battery has been hanging around before you bought it. It would need a good charge... and I reckon as you've fitted a new head unit you have been setting it up and listening to a few tune while sitting in the car.

Agreed. 2 months is an eternity for one of these cars without being used. The battery will be totally dead by then.

I've a hefty Bosch Silver fitted to mine, even at 3-4 weeks without use and kept out of the elements in a garage, cranking can be a bit of a gamble. Only just fired the other day and sounded like it was right at the point of giving up! If I leave my VR for any significant period of time I just disconnect the battery. ECU seems to re-learn values and settle down pretty quickly.

i use a solar powered trickle charger, £15 from maplins & swap it over depending on which rado i use

EDIT: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/solar-powered-12v-24w-battery-trickle-charger-n59fu?cmpid=ppc&gclid=CLmM9cbJzdACFYdAGwodchEOKA

does it work in a dark garage ?

This is exactly my problem. No power to the building either, so impossible to trickle or solar charge :(

does it work in a dark garage ?

ha ha ha!!!

errr that would be a no - though i am sure with some simple wiring it would be very easy to extend the cables so as to put the charger itself on the outside of the garage, its only 2 wires