Sign in to follow this  
Blown

Overfuelling on idle?

Need some advice please.

Just put my G60 back together,and got it running,but there seems to be a problem with the tickover.

It seems a bit lumpier and doesn't want to idle as well as before the head was done.Push the revs up to 2500 and it smoothes itself out and sounds good,but on idle it sounds like it's off timing(which has been checked twice and appears ok).

I have ideas on a could be a couple of things that could be the cause;

1)faulty earth on the O2 sensor,

2)Knackered Dizzy cap,

3)The "brain" needs remapping :shock:

It has recently had the head off and it has been flowed and ported,3.5bar fpr,matched inlet and exhaust manifold(TSR 4branch),new bosch plugs, a brand new VAG lambda probe and a 260deg cam.

The exhaust gas smells like its overfuelling,but without taking it to a garage to be checked on a diagnostic machine(which would mean having to get it T&T'd) I'm at a loss. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

if you have changed the above characteristics of the engine it will definatly need a re-map. what led you to make these changes ? you need to really fit a package that works in harmony with all the parts used the above will definatly have fueling issues..

if you have changed the above characteristics of the engine it will definatly need a re-map...

Damn,thats what I was afraid of.No-one here does that.I would have to drive to Star performance in Glenrothes,as they would be the nearest I think.(400 odd miles :( ),and they fitted the Jabbasport chip when I had the charger done.

what led you to make these changes ? you need to really fit a package that works in harmony with all the parts used the above will definatly have fueling issues

Oh,I dunno.It was a "slap it together and see if it works!" kind of attitude.I still have the original cast manifold that was also matched to the head and could refit that with a cat-bypass pipe if that would make a difference.

Would this cause any difficulties in day to day driving until I got the car somewhere for a remap?