vr6paul

G60 Cooling - (back on the road after a while)

Folks - I have carried out a few searches to try and work out what is happening with my "new" G60.

I plan on using it daily so i am keen that it keeps itself cool.

On the way to work this morning (a roads mainly) it looks like the water temp effectively mirrors the water temp if that makes sense.

Water gauge at just under 100 and the oil temp from computer around 98 or so.

I have read a few tips (on other threads) which I plan on trying like

- replace blue temperature sender (perhaps ecu doesnt know what the water temp is?)

- short radiator fan to see if it works?

- replace radiator fan switch?

I hope to flush the system and put new coolant in it etc but can I just check

If bottom and top radiator hoses are warm then the thermostat is working?

Also if I run the car with the expansion tank top off should I see a constant flow of water through here even when cold or when up to temp? - I am not sure this is happening so should i be considering water pump (or checking that thermostat is working first?)

Any guide at all as to what sort of order to attack this in would be appreciated.

many thanks

paul

So all parts replaced so far - water pump, thermostat, rad fan switch, blue temp switch and heater matrix.

New coolant in and seems to be circulating however any tips on ensuring i have no air in the system??

Also my water temp this morning (especially during warm up) was actually higher than oil temp? I think a new Black temp sender is in order? any thoughts?

many thanks again

On way home oil temp 110/112 on a very sedate a road.

I'm going to replace the black water temp sensor to see if that makes a difference to readings. Any other help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to recall what my oil temps did in relation to the water as my G60 has been off the road for a few months now.

I'm sure that water use to run at around the mid 90's and oil anywhere up to 120 on the MFA.

I'm trying to recall what my oil temps did in relation to the water as my G60 has been off the road for a few months now.

I'm sure that water use to run at around the mid 90's and oil anywhere up to 120 on the MFA.

My water runs at about 70-80 with a large flow stat and my oil is anywhere between 90 and 110 depending on driving style.

So I'm hotter than that with gentle driving. Should I be think I low temp/high glow thermostat or am I being too cautious / gentle ? Thanks again

My water runs at about 70-80 with a large flow stat and my oil is anywhere between 90 and 110 depending on driving style.

Are you running an external oil cooler or the stock heat exchanger?

Any large flow thermostat recommendations - part numbers ? Just put new one in but worth a try?

Always a good idea to add one on, i never liked the piece of shiyte original system.. G60/vr/16v, all with the same setup that could one day rupture and mix oil with water, possibly writing off the engine.

Your engine sounds fairly standard? All these additional 'upgrades' really aren't necessary, VW spent time and money making sure the cars ran correctly. Over cooling an engine can be as harmful as it getting too hot.

Replacing things like you have done is a good idea if you have no history. The standard oil/water exchanger is fine for a standard engine and only £30 to replace. Next on the list is the radiator - these are the one of the biggest culprits for cooling issues as they tend to only be replaced if they leak, but they can be sealed and still buggered, particularly if incorrect coolant has been used (likely) and not changed regularly (also likely).

Remember that what you are being shown on the gauges may not be 100% accurate too..

Are you actually getting any over heating issues other than the temp gauge readings, which you are considering to be high?

What other issues should I look for?

Considering low temp thermostat and fan switch?

I was looking for a oil temp sensor to try replacing that but can't find a part number.

Radiator allows water to flow through east enough - tested when empty . Top and bottom hoses get hot too. How could I test the rad?

ok so im going with a low temp thermostat and also i have ordered (for the sake of £7 or so) the oil temp sensor to try and rule out dodgy readings.

So i am really going to be left with radiator being at fault and/or oil cooler.

Any ideas on testing the radiator and oil cooler - they are a bit more pricey to replace without knowing if its needed.

Ofcourse i may just be paranoid and this could be the temps that car has always run at - i just know id rather it was cooler.

Especially water.

cheers