mort1414

Home respray advice

Hi all looking for some guidance / advice / problems faced / equipment info on home resprays from people who have had a go. I've got a compressor and plan on doing the front end in summer. Any info greatly appreciated.

cheers

I guess i should point out I'm not expecting to be able to transform my car back to show room condition but keep it rust free and in reasonable nick without spending twice the value of the car on a respray.

I did mine about 10 years ago now, luckily at the time I had use of a massive land lot with big sheds.

I stripped 3 corrados there and made 1 good one, the one I have now that's been sitting virtually ever since..

All depends on the condition of your car, lots of rust? Dents? The biggest pain I all the prep work, sanding and preparing, masking up etc.

How are you gonna match the paint shade? What paint are you gonna use (2K is definitely out of the question) what kind of work conditions?

How are you gonna avoid dust and dirt sticking to the freshly painted surfaces??

Go for it though, just plan it out first and know your limitations.

I'm currently doing a full respray my self, it's alot of work but worth the saving.

I've just recently purchased a devilbiss startingline gun, they are 60 ish quid. Devilbiss make some of the best guns on the market, this is just there cheapest range. Mines a sg-610 model. Sprays OK. You are going to be fighting massively with ambient temps and cleanliness to get a perfect finish , so as long as you expect orange peel and maybe the odd run and a bit of grit in the paint, you will be fine. Just takes alot of flatting Afterwards.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I'm currently doing a full respray my self, it's alot of work but worth the saving.

I've just recently purchased a devilbiss startingline gun, they are 60 ish quid. Devilbiss make some of the best guns on the market, this is just there cheapest range. Mines a sg-610 model. Sprays OK. You are going to be fighting massively with ambient temps and cleanliness to get a perfect finish , so as long as you expect orange peel and maybe the odd run and a bit of grit in the paint, you will be fine. Just takes alot of flatting Afterwards.

The one I have going spare is a DeVilbiss, but a more professional/commercial model - They retailed for about £250 or more.

Ian.

The one I have going spare is a DeVilbiss, but a more professional/commercial model - They retailed for about £250 or more.

Ian.

If the OP isn't interested in it, can I have second dibs if your looking to sell. And also them model/spec and what your looking to get for it?

Cheers

If the OP isn't interested in it, can I have second dibs if your looking to sell. And also them model/spec and what your looking to get for it?

Cheers

I have had a PM from somebody else for 2nd dibs, but happy to bear you in mind - Will get the box out over the weekend and post up details/photo's.

Ian.

Having done a spray job when doing up my bug I did this myself with no prior experience. practice makes perfect so have a go on something else before to get the mix right and practice your technique.

I would say avoid doing it in a garage especially if you have been doing other work in there. I found that oil in the air and dust falling from everywhere ruined every attempt.

The best results I had were under a car port with both ends blocked off and the whole thing lined out with plastic sheeting (looked like a scene from Dexter!) Keep it as sealed as possible. this not only stops stuff flying in, it also allows anything in the "booth" to settle and stops any wind from affecting the spray direct out of the gun. Also even on a mildly warm day if there's any sun on it, it will get nice and toasty inside which helps with drying the paint.

I would also agree on avoiding the 2k.

Thanks for the info guys so far:

-turn my relatively clean garage into a scene from dexter

-prep is key

If not 2k then cellulose?

Not a lot of rust if any, a few very small dints in the bonnet but mainly very stonechiped.

Iv used aerosols from paints4u before and they have always matched perfectly have i just been lucky?

cheers

You won't be able to buy cellulose anymore, but I suggest if your car is a non metallic, check out glasurit 68line it's a Base and top coat in one, but acrylic based sp less harmful than old school solvent stuff

I'd personally go water based. Its expensive but I find it nice to paint with. Does need a warmer environment to dry off in though, so if you can seal yourself in and get a heater or 2 on it really helps. Also you can go straight over the water based (once dry) with a lacquer. No keying up invetween required

Pics of spray gun + spares as promised. Looking for £125.00 plus carriage (Spares alone on current DeVilbiss Pricelist are nearly £200!).