annavr6

VR6 Rebuild Question

Hi All

Currently rebuilding my mk2 VR6. Well some of it. I stipped it down to get rid of teh chrome crap i had in favour of black powdercoat. So its stripped to the rocker cover. When i rebuilt it last time, as in engine rebuild with new pistons etc we used a sealant/gasket paste stuff as well as the genuine gaskets. Ive got new gaskets and fixings for everything ive removed. What i want to know is doesnt or has anyone else used sealant as well as the gaskets. Should i use it again or just put it back together with gaskets as it should be?

On the recommendation of Vince at Stealth racing i used a bit of Stag Wellseal, he was raving on about it. But i didn't cover the entire surface, just one corner/side where its prone to leaking.

On the recommendation of Vince at Stealth racing i used a bit of Stag Wellseal, he was raving on about it. But i didn't cover the entire surface, just one corner/side where its prone to leaking.

Thanks for the reply. Ive only re fitted the bottom inlet manifold at the moment and with just the gasket so may use a tad of that on the rest of it

I was meaning on the cylinder head gasket, i never put anything on inlet/exhaust gasket, they are fine as they are.

ahh i didnt go that far down, rocker cover was as far as i needed to go.

My inlet mani, throttle body and everything had it on before. I wont bother then, i have ordered some just in case, plus i think its probably a pretty useful item to have in parts/tools stash.

as you can probably tell this is the first time ive taken the engine apart on my own. I had help previously but now i just cant bear anyone else touching the car. Im far too precious about it

Personally Id use the std gaskets and only use the sealant on any fluid gaskets where its prone for potential leaks.