stretch.

16v KR Ribbed Belt Conversion

Anybody done a ribbed belt conversion to a KR engine? My aux belt whines while driving, if I slacken it, then it squeaks on idle, and it's driving me nuts!

The only real consensus I've managed to find is that I need to use a Mk3 8v (or early 16v) alternator with the tensioner spring, rather than the ABF one which may foul on the chassis leg.

Just not able to find any real definitive info on which crank pulley/water pump pulley is best? Or can I just pinch an entire ABF setup?

Seems a little drastic mate.. Have you tried changing the actual belt?

Maybe also try one those spray cans of belt anti squeal or a quick spray of silicone spray might do the trick.

I know! Belts swapped a few different times, tried different v profiles, manufacturers, then after a week or less same squealing. Pulleys all appear to run true as well. I just have a bnit of a cursed car I think!

Think I've narrowed down the parts list though.

Mk3 2.0 8v crank pulley

12v VR6 Water Pump Pulley

EGG/ABF Alternator and matching bracket (Spring tensioned vs pulley tensioner)

Sounds right pulley wise.

What about that awful double pulley water pump the 1.8 KR was blessed with, could you eliminate it totally by fabricating the serp. belt set-up?

Sounds right pulley wise.

What about that awful double pulley water pump the 1.8 KR was blessed with, could you eliminate it totally by fabricating the serp. belt set-up?

Already gone! Got fed up of trying to track down OE parts for the power steering, and got fed up of throwing rubbish aftermarket parts so I fitted a mk2 manual PAS rack, my inner water pump pulley was already a solid unit, so didn't have to worry about that either. Corsa electric rack will be fitted at some point in the future instead.

That sounds like an excellent idea, I too thought about doing a similar conversion using a Fiat punto/ new 500 steering motor, no more worries about leaks, loose belt and a tiny increase in engine pick up, after ditching the PS pump.

Right I've boiled down 2 maybe 3 options,

ABF/AGG Alternator (Spring or Tensioner Arm)

Then:

028 121 031K - Water Pump Pulley

037 105 243A - Crankshaft Pulley/Vibration Damper(Anybody know if this is inter changable with 037 105 255A - G60 crank pulley?)

Or

037 121 030A - Water Pump Pulley (G60 ribbed style)

06A 105 243F - 1.8T 06A Crank Pulley (Requires 6.2mm Spacer when fitted to 16v timing setup, 12.2 for a setup on an 8V)

You can buy lightened aluminium versions of both the above from what it looks like as well,

I believe both setups also require slightly longer bolts for mounting the alt bracket to the waterpump, and the crank pulley.

Water Pump / Alternator bracket mounting studs:

028 260 821

028 260 821 A

028 260 821 C

Whilst building my old 16v-G60 engine I gathered loads of different pulleys, bolts, crank dampers, brackets, etc..

Let me know if you need anything unusual.

Don't suppose you have both the vibration damper pulley and the regular G60 one?

If they're both the same circumference and offset then either should work (theoretically!)

Also now just wondering if the G60 Crank/Water Pump pulleys could be used with a spacer?

I've got loads, let me check tomorrow morning and I'll get you a few photos.

Send me your email, I'll load them onto my phone and send them direct.