Sign in to follow this  
Roger Blassberg

ECU problem on VR6

When I bought the car 18 months ago, the previous owner told me he had put a Superchip into the ECU at some time in the past, and together with the piles of documentation he handed over was the original standard chip.

It looks as though it had to be unsoldered from the guts of the ECU because there is still some solder on the pins. Am I right to think that there will have been a chip holder installed to carry the modified item?

I am getting significant pinking from the engine once it is warm, despite using Optimax fuel. The complete cylinder head is brand new and it's not over heating. There is no knock sensor fault reported on the 1551. I'm thinking that this non-standard chip is simply over-advancing the ignition, so I want to replace the original to see if that gets rid of the problem.

The question is this; how do I open up the ECU ? And is it simply a matter of pulling out the Superchip and plugging in the standard item (which, you will remember, has some solder still on the pins?

Finally, do I need to take any special precautions when delving into the ECU, like earthing myself and it to stop any stray potentials floating around and how do I re-boot the ECU (if at all) once it is all back together?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Best wishes

RB

The original EPROM carrying the fuel map information etc was soldered directly into the board in my ECU. I think most installers would unsolder the original then fit a socket so the chips can be interchanged without soldering everytime.

If you have got a socket in your ECU you should be able to just remove the ecu from the car, undo the 4 screws heatsink end then slide the board and heatsink out. Try not to touch any of the board, and earth yourself aswell to stop static damage. Carefully levering a screwdriver between the EPROM and the socket should remove the chip square enough.

Also be careful to fit the chip in the correct way round. Theres usually a dot marking pin 1 on the EPROM or a semicircle mark one end, also meaning the top left pin is pin 1.

It depends how much solder is on the pins, but if its just a thin layer the socket should take it ok. Any more and you may need to use a soldering iron to heat the solder to remove the high spots.

I had a socket put in my ecu and the bloke who did it, just turned the circuit board upside down and touched a soldering iron on the 16 points of contact and the original chip pulled out.

Thanks, all.

Is there any word on re-setting the ECU ?

Does it need to be done, and if so, what do I need to do ? I have the Bentley - is there a reference in there which someone could recommend?

Best wishes

RB

reset on a VR6 simply means disconnecting the battery for about 15 mins... 8)