Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

charger drive belt stripped what now??

when i started my c this morning i could hear a faint grumbling noise i opened the bonnet and the sound seems to be coming from the charger its not a clattering noise just a very faint grumble and i could feel the vibration through the casing, does this sound like the bearings???

i have just changed the feed line as it was knackered so maybee the bearings have died due to a lack of oil its quite a new charger and seems to work well i havent noticed any loss of power

i was looking forward to going to tatton park this weekend as well.

does anyone know who could do a rebuild for me before the weekend???

i could remove the charger tonight and post it tommorow morning if it can be done.

(im in work at the moment and i am posting this from my phone so im not sure if it will work)

the vibration seems to be from the charger i want to get it serviced anyway as the feed line was the original one and was almost completely blocked.

i just really wanted to use it for tatton park:(

err i think i found the problem somehow i dont think its meant to look like this

i cant see any more damage to the charger and i only ran it for about 10 sec when i heard the grumbling noise

it looks like one of the seals has gone and contaminated the belt the charger turns perfectly smoothly by hand and i cant find any broken bits of ally

does anyone know if it might be ok i am going to give g-werks a call tommorow for a rebuild.

shall i open it up and have a look inside before i send it away just incase its beyond repair???

i dont mind taking it apart but i would prefer a pro to put it back together

:shock: oops... I'd just lob it Darren's way and see what he makes of it... :|

well i took it apart as i allways wanted to see what is like inside :roll:

there seems to be no damage at all inside but the exhaust seal is absolutely screwed so the rest probably will be aswell

all this because of a 10quid oil feed line :mad:

hopefully as i have'nt driven it with the stripped belt it should be ok fingers, toes and everything else crossed :D

is it darren at g-werks??

i am going to send it to or drop it off at g-werks once i have spoken to them tommorow how long does it usually take???

spoke to darren today and sent the charger to be re-built :)

im a bit miffed its gone but i am relieved it didnt go at stealth on the rolling road the other week as that could have been pretty dangerous if it had gone at full revs :shock:

if any g60 owners out there have got old oil feed lines like i had, change them quick as there is a bit of a flaw in their design really as the lining of the pipe seems to expand over the years as it gets contaminated by oil mine had reduced to less than 1mm across i have changed mine to a teflon lined one a bit late i know but hopefully i caught the charger in the nick of time :roll:

for the sake of about 12 quid for the feed line its probably worth changing them yearly or upgrading it to a teflon one for about 30 quid which will last much longer

does anyone know if there is a product that can be fitted in line to check the oil flow visually as i am getting paranoid about it now :lol:

also if there are any signs of oil coming into contact with the drive belt get your charger serviced before its too late :lol:

it to a teflon one for about 30 quid which will last much longer

No, you're right about being paranoid about the oil feed lines, as a mate of mine's G-Lader literally exploded due to clogged oil feed lines :shock:

Anyway, where do you get the Teflon lines from?

Tempest

i bought all the bits from demon tweeks and made them myself i just took the original in there and they gave me all the bits i needed all goodridge parts and seem very well made.

Since the charger is bolted to the engine (no requirement for hose to be flexible) - is it not possible to use steel brakepipe with the relevent banjo unions fixed to each end ??

i would of thought teflon would be better as its harder for anything to adhere to it plus the stainless braided teflon pipe was very cheap i think it was about 5 quid per metre for the pipe it was the banjo's that where the expensive bit

plus there is allways the risk of knocking and denting or snapping the steel pipe

IMO - unless there is a specific requirement for a pipe to be flexible (i.e. to allow movement of the joined items), solid pipe is always better.

What do you think Darren ??