Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Well, she's gone to the bodyshop

A tense week for me. I've had bad experiences with bodyshops in the past, very bad, and it's cost me severla thousand pounds and my hair. and now the beloved ocrrado has been in 2 days. I daren't even go an look!

he sayd it'll be done for Friday. But for some reason I'm more apprehensive than excited by what I'm going to see.

wish me luck!

Did somebody say "orangepeel".

I am sure it will be ok. Look at it this way, if you are nervous about it then when you go to collect it and its as you wanted you will feel even more elated. If that makes sense.

lol bodyshop guys always work on a different time dimension than normal people!!!

dont go see it until its finished - will probably freak you out!

well, as predicted, I'm not pleased.....

he only wanted the car a week. he's had it 3 days, and has only just started on it........

he's ground back the front arch lip a bit, and started attakjing one of the rear arches.

I say attacked, as it looks a bit rough (as expected at this early stage. he's pulled the edge out a fair way, but says the bit at the back where it meets the bumper is really tough and won't move.

63006094.jpg

so in his own words "I'll just blend that in with filler", to which I replied .....

"OH NO YOU F*CKING WON'T!!!! :mad:

I said "you can cut a slit in it and pull it out like the rest of the arch. I HATE filler, I almost scrapped my last car because the bodyshop ruined it with filler."

SO I'm going back every day from now on. I want to see all the metal work done before he goes anywhere near it with filler. and he's going to keep panel beating until I'm happy, even if it costs me more"

I I see more than a 1mm skim of filler anywhere on the car I'll take the car off him and sue him.

more wound up than ever now...I don't know whether I can trust the guy with the rest of the job.....what he's done so far I could have done myself.

anyway, check it out so far. he wanted to fill the arch to get the shape back!! no chance, it's got to be panel beaten to shape. I will accept nothing less.

The dents

63006063.jpg

getting there

63006042.jpg

(yes, he wanted to fill all of that dip!!! no thanks

and a taster of the wheels

63006025.jpg

(tyre not on properly as there's no valve in them)

he painted my mates mk2 6 years ago and it's still looking as good as new, nothing has sunk or blebbed up and the finish is mint. so he told me he was shit hot, an I believed him.

he painted my mates mk2 6 years ago and it's still looking as good as new, nothing has sunk or blebbed up and the finish is mint. so he told me he was s*** hot, an I believed him.

I'm worried for you mate. Mine didn't look like that, hopefully just a different technic he's using. :scratch:

can you send me some pics of your being done please.

Put a couple of pics in the members area. Looks like theres only a skim of filler around the edge if the arch.

nope, no one makes 235/30's they don't exist.

that's a 225/35/17, too narrow, they look daft, might have to go for 245's.

well, I went back down today. car is back on it's speedline wheels and they look lost, the arches look huge!! despite only being pulled to the edge of the bumper. Fronts have been done quite nicely, I'm well pleased with those, and he hasn't even finished them yet. So that's alayed the fears from yesterday a little.

Still sturggling at the back though, he still wan'ts to fill that bit but I won't let him. I've told him to keep beating from the inside until the ouside moves with it. no filler, or no payment, simple as that. so I'm hopeing to see those a bit better by the weekend.

no more pics, battery on camera was flat, I'll get some more tomorrow.

nope, no one makes 235/30's they don't exist.

that's a 225/35/17, too narrow, they look daft, might have to go for 245's.

quote]

I'm on 225/35/17's out back and couldn't go larger. Fitted 3mm (now et30 on 9.5's) spacers on the back yesterday as i found the rims were sitting too close (as in inbetween the coils) springs. Reckon i need to fit a 5-6mm spacer or a shorter spring. Also raised the back a little.

couldn't go larger becasue of the arches??

they look too stretched for me, I won't be happy if I have to use a 225, I don't like them overstretched, and I drive to hard to trust a stretched tyre too.

Im using 215/35/17 tryes on my nine's on the back, the offset on the wheel is et47, then with the 20mm adaper it becomes et27, and the inside edge of the rim is about 7mm away from the strut with the the spring platform wound up so it sits above the tyre, the inside edge of the rim is also about 7mm away from the trailing arm

Lee- Have you not had to use adapters on your rims?, mine are 5x112, i thought they all came in 5x112 then you buy the required thickness adapters to convert to 5x100

Yes they came with adapters 20mm thick. Think the answer is shorter springs. Its very, very tight.

Off to the bodyshop at 10am, more pics coming soon.

As for my porseche wheels, they are such a low offset I can't run adaptors!! I'm going to have to get some custom made hubs in a 5x130 firtment so I can use them. it will be worth it though, oh so worth it, just wait until you see them, you'll cry :mrgreen:

Hmm, I won't if I can use beetle front discs on the rear and audi RS2 drive flanges up front???

Lee- Have you not had to use adapters on your rims?, mine are 5x112, i thought they all came in 5x112 then you buy the required thickness adapters to convert to 5x100

Yes they came with adapters 20mm thick. Think the answer is shorter springs. Its very, very tight.[/quote:542c0]

All seems fine with the 3mm spacers. I'll starting lowering it mm by mm :)