Sign in to follow this  
half-9

Urgent help needed G60's in the garage

Help!!

My 1991 Corrado G60 is curently in a garage, my mechanic is claiming the following:

1. B&M short shift - mechanic is claiming he needs to drop the entire gear lever mechanism from underneath the car - he claims the existing lever can't be removed from the top - Is this true? Or is he simply adding £££s to my bill?

2. Single wiper conversion - he claims there is something wrong with the kit as movement is limited - does anyone know of any obvious errors he might be making??

3. MY car is wearing 205/40/17's and track rods need replacing - I've just got off the phone from VW - there are 2 track rod sizes one is specificly for 205/50's (don't know what wheel diameter 16's or 17's ??) the other has no tyre size info. They are both special order, I don't know which to get can anyone helpppppp??

Thanks

Hamza

1. AFAIK the quickshift kits are not that much of an involved job to fit! There should be instructions with it detailing everything you need to know, and i'm quite certain that you don't have to drop the mech out from under the car to install it!!

2. Not sure... :(

3. I wasn't aware that there were modified track rods for Corrado's considering that they were never available with wheels any bigger than 15" from the dealers at the time. I'd just go with the standard OE item as listed for your car on ETKA if I were you!

3. MY car is wearing 205/40/17's and track rods need replacing - I've just got off the phone from VW - there are 2 track rod sizes one is specificly for 205/50's (don't know what wheel diameter 16's or 17's ??) the other has no tyre size info. They are both special order, I don't know which to get can anyone helpppppp??

There are different Trackrods for the VR6 (plus suspension) as it came with 205's as standard, all other corrado's came with 195's and use the same trackrods as mk2's - VW should know this!

They are about £60 from VW but GSF sell Febi ones for about £17 each inc the ends, but make sure the ones you get have a 6 sided hex at the end which goes onto the steering rack as this will make it easier to fit with the engine and the rack in the car...