Sign in to follow this  
blair321

gear box

my gear box seems to be broken. i used to have to push the knob down and accross to put it into reverse, now the gap between 1st and reverse is minimal and i dont have to push it down to get it accross to reverse

any ideas

Hmm, I would try lifting up the surround at your gear-lever (it unclips upwards) There are several different springs and circlips that occasionally break in there. Failing that there may be a problem at the selector linkage in the engine bay on top of the gearbox. Don't despair just yet, far more likely to be a simple gear selector linkage failure than a genuine gearbox failure I reckon. I would bet on a spring gone in the gear selector linkage under the gearknob area. Take a shufty and look for an obviously broken spring etc....

Just found this piccy, with the gearlever surround lifted, don't worry too much about the circlip the white pen is pointing to, often comes off, but that just makes the gearlever sloppy side to side, rather than your problem. I would look at the spindly spring forward of where the pen is pointing, and also the greeny coloured spring on the gearlever itself , and any other springs / moving bits in there.....

check to see if this circlip is still there?

if not you`ll get lots of L/R play with difficulties with 1st/reverse as you said

benji16v, :lol: Oh well, it's nice when someone agress with you. At least you used a classier pointing implement than my white plastic pen :lol:

When I had this trouble though it was the crappy sprng forward of the circlip....

cheers guys, its definatley the clip you have pointed out, seems to be missing and the gear lever is slipping out to the left. il get down the dub garage tomorrow.

BTW, when I ordered one from VW they initially sold me the wrong one, if it's a bright chrome type thing with a small locating hole in a bent over tang on the end probably the wrong one, so make sure it is the right one before you drive away. If it fits in the groove easily and is a dull greyish finish it's the right one, if you need to force it /distort it to fit it's the wrong one, get them to try again!

yeah i got something right!!!!

i just got given a handfull of circlips by VW (for free)and was told to see witch one fitted, first one i picked up....voila as good as new!!! 8)

Hola,

I have just picked up the part mentioned above from VW.

It cost me a whopping 13p!

The part number is N 012 327 6.

It is known as a lock washer. It is literally just half a washer you push into the little ravine type thing thus keeping the stick to the right. I have no idea yet if it works, but it at least set my mind at ease! It is suggested that this clip, can, if missing, make shifting into 2nd difficult, particularly from third. I was experiencing this problem, but hopefully no longer.

Hope this helps,

DF.