Sign in to follow this  
boab

recommend gaeage to do rebuild

i think my engine needs rebuiilding as it just done seem to be running good at all, can anyone recommend a garage in and around glasgow/ayrhire area.

what exactly is a rebuild and what are the costs?? what else can i do to the car to improve performance

From memory, A good rebuild on a 1.8 16V should include:

Block work

new piston rings

new bearings (all of 'em! ;) big end, crank, top end if possible )

bore hohning (dunno how it's spelt but you get the idea! ;) )

steam cleaning of all internal components

all new gaskets (see below)

Head work

Cleanup (ie. de-coking)

new valve guides

new/re-cut valve seats

new valve seats

possible LIGHT skim if needed (although you should try to avoid this if possible as it may cause pinking afterwards)

new tappets (this will hurt cost wise as there are 16 of the buggers... :( )

Gaskets

Sump Gasket

Head set (easier to buy as a set than mess about getting individually! ;) )

Block set (again easier and should include: water flanges, rocker cover seal, waterpump to block seal, oil filter head to block seal, oil breather seal (may need a puller to be able to change this one) and both crank seals )

Other bits

New oil pump

New (complete) water pump (it's only £25, don't scrimp! ;) )

New themostat

New oil cooler (don't miss this one out, it'll cost you BIG time if it fails! :( )

New sump if there is ANY sign of rust inside the original...

New head flanges (the black plastic coolant bits...these WILL break/leak if you use them again1 ;) )

This may sound a lot, and look like it costs a lot, but it's all pretty cheap and is all pretty easy to do at home (I know, I've done it! ;) ) It'll mean that you end up with a pretty much standard as new 16V KR engine which should easily be good for another 75K+ miles! :) Not bad for a few hundred quid and a weekend or twos work!!! :D 8) I don't know the "with labour" costs as I've always done the work to my cars myself... 8)

If you're doing it yourself (and it's not too difficult! ;) ) my biggest tip is to get hold of a MKII Golf or Passat 88-91 Haynes manual which has ALL the details, torques, settings, instructions etc etc etc in it that you'll need! 8) I reckon that Passat Haynes saved me a good £500 to £1000 in rebuilding my first Corrado's engine! :D 8)

oops, you beat me to it as I edited that last post... :oops:

Sorry I have no idea on labour costs as I've always done the work myself... :|

so as a novice at anythin mechanical what u think? id fuck it up? id try cause i dont mind gettin stuck in about things, just wanna know what knowledge i would need

I'm currently having my corrado engine rebuilt, cost around 2k including labour @ £27/hr

my head went but i also need head and block skimming, so everything has to come out, anthing which is replaceable on and around the block i'm replacing with new.

sherry p

I'm currently having my corrado engine rebuilt, cost around 2k including labour @ £27/hr

my head went but i also need head and block skimming, so everything has to come out, anthing which is replaceable on and around the block i'm replacing with new.

sherry p

I really wouldn't spend the money on a 1.8 unless you absolutely want to keep it bog-standard, try to find a 2L bottom end 6A,9A or ABF and use that as a basis for the rebuild, you won't be sorry you spent a couple of hundred quid more and providing the crank, pistons and block are as serviceable it's all the same cost as rebuilding it as a 1.8, even the metal 2L headgaskets are not very dear.

160bhp+ and loads more torque :D :D :D

David.