Sign in to follow this  
boab

Fitting a Turbo to a 1.8

Can you fit a turbo to a 1.8, and what sort of kit would i have to buy? what parts are needed?

Yes u can fit a turbo to a 1.8

I've just bought the turbo technics kit with garett T25 turbo

These aren't made anymore but keep an eye out as they do pop up from time to time

Its not fitted as yet, just made payment.

It was fitted on a 2.1L 16v @ low boost and was running 260bhp

If your looking to turbo a 1.8 16v engine you better of getting a manifold from either

http://www.hgp-turbo.de

or

http://www.8vturbo.com

they do a stronger cast one unlike the turbo technics one and you can also run a T3 turbo which will produce alot more power than a T25

Also youll need to get yourself some Audi quattro pistons as they fit straight in and lowers the compression so a nice leverl.

Once thats all in you should be able to see about 300 bhp easily and german guys have got 16v turbo to run 500bhp +

turbo technis kit is sh1te. it's only a T25. you need a T3 at least to get decent power.

I have a tubular exhaust manifold for sale. custom made in the US to fit a T3, and exetrnal wastgate. £200 no offers.

not sure if it will fit unless you have a cross flow head. but you should really be usin one anyway, otherwise the turbo will just heat up the inlet manifold too much.

what else do you need besides the manifold and pistons? do you need a bigger radiator or intercooler?

Hm... everyone is quick to knock the Turbo Technics kit but I will say in its defense that its a bloody reliable way of turbocharging your car without loads and loads of problems that aftermarket forced induction kits are usually guilty of.

My neighbours 2.8i Turbo Capri has been rock solid reliable despite the fact that its a D plate and a Ford!!