Sign in to follow this  
solomk1

gearbox for a g60 ???

the 6 speed box is HUGE as well as being HEAVY... :| I considered one in my C before I got my G60 one modded...

ay up then lads i was doing 80 at 3500 on the nose thats on 16s with 40s so that aint tooooo bad the car seems to pull alot quicker too so after using the g60 n the mk3 valver the valver wins in my book i used the g60 clutch and set up sweet !!!

go on lads treat ya selves 60 plus in 2nd you know it makes sence :D

Might sound a bit daft but, do you use the G60 clutch with the Mk3 16V gearbox?

Stick a VR6 Corrado one in m8 - same external dimensions, heavier duty & bolts straight on 8)

i've manged to source a couple of mk3 16v boxes, so looks like i will be fitting one of these,

one comapny wanted a £250 for one if anyones interested i can pm the number,

but i did manage to find one a lot cheaper so thers a couple about, hopefully be picking it up tomorrow,

i'll let you know what its like when sorted out :)

why spend !!!! :oops:

Cos a standard G60 clutch won't last very long in a tuned G60 !! :p

it seemed to last well enough in front of you on the way back from the stoke meeting !!!

I've tracked one down for about £175.

My next clutch will be a VR6 one, but I've got a sachs one ready to put in.

Get a LUK clutch - G60 Sachs ones ain't anywhere near as good

why spend !!!! :oops:

Cos a standard G60 clutch won't last very long in a tuned G60 !! :p

it seemed to last well enough in front of you on the way back from the stoke meeting !!!

Ahh - I know who you are now :wink:

VR clutches last a lot longer in tuned G60's - they're a little stronger & take the extra power better.

i used a sachs power/uprated clutch made for a vr6 on mine, its outlasted the box, but then the box has done 130k and the clutch about 5k :)

i've got the mk3 box in and its seems much better, its not as frantic as the 1.8 16v box i had, but seems to be making better use of the power, and 5th gear is much better especailly with my noisey charger :oops:

the only problem i had was with the shift mech, it has a luvely big weight on which should make for a smooth easy gear change but unfortunatly it would not clear my charge cooler. :(

so at the mo its a bit of a hybrid slector with parts from the older cable change boxes and the mk3 one, but seems to be working ok.

Get a LUK clutch - G60 Sachs ones ain't anywhere near as good

just fitted my new sachs clutch and it looked identical to the original luk one except the metal casing seems slightly thicker on the sachs

notice the bit missing on the luk one that bit is about a mm thicker on the sachs

I better get my clutch fitted, it's been dormant on my bedroom floor for the last 16months.

What's that I hear, Lazy Fooker, me??

the housing on my 1.8 16v box is kinda knackered...but i'm sure the internals are fine...anyone want spares?? Please don't hesitate to PM me if you do, i'd only want like £40 for it.

So, how much work is involved in swapping the 1st and 2nd gears out of a VR6 box to the G60, and would it be cheaper to buy and fit a Mk3 16v GB?

I would probably suggest Henny to be the man to answer this having had his done either by himself or sourced externally.

At least I think it was Henny :roll:

I would probably suggest Henny to be the man to answer this having had his done either by himself or sourced externally.

At least I think it was Henny :roll:

'Lo! 8)

Yup, was me! :D

I got hold of a VR6 box from PhatVR6 for £200 who very kindly dropped it off at Stealth for me too... Then Vince stripped it and my original G60 box (which I'd dropped off down there a couple of weeks earlier) and Frankenstein'd me a hybrid box with the Quaife in there too...

I don't do gearbox work myself, 'cos they're the one bit of a car which scare me with their complexity and my lack of knowledge of them.... :oops:

It'd be cheaper to go the MKIII 16V route, but how good that box will be and how well it'll take the power is still to be proven... at least with the box I now have, I know that it'll take the power I'm putting through it, it's got the LSD and has had a full check over and all new seals and bearings put in it so it should last me a while.... for over a grand, it better do anyway! ;) :lol:

I want one too :lol: Are there any online places that knock out rebuild boxs? or any breakers someone would recommend..? oo and just to confirm is it a mk2 1.8 16v box or 2l? Only reason i asked someone indicated they were different

Yep it's the one from the 2L.

Looks like I'm gonna miss out of the VR6 one on ebay. Bad timing! Will look more into the gearbox once the engine is done.