Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Adjusting B&M Quickshift...

Hi..

Could any B&M Quickshift owners give me some tips on how to adjust it to work better. I was having problems shifting gears and mentioned this to Stealth at my last service - they adjusted it and it made a big improvement.

But a few months down the line it appears to have worked itself out of alignment again and i'm having trouble engaging some gears periodically. Normally very first thing in the morning, where reverse and 2nd are particularly troublesome for the first few minutes of driving. (not that I regularly engage reverse whilst on the road you understand!)

I don't *think* its the gearbox thats at fault (despite 2nd being one of the first to show signs of synchro wear) as, once the car is moving for a few minutes, gear changes become a doddle again...

Hi Jim

First check that none of the circlips are missing or loose. At the top swivel point or down below where the cables connect. Common.

If all is in order there then with the gearbox in neutral whip off the gearbox end weight. Note it's position i.e. it has a locating pin on the underside You'll see where the shifter cable connects and that it is adjustable. Get a mate to go through the gears so you see how it works. For example you say 2nd is a problem. When you engage 2nd (gearshift is pulled back) you'll see the cable is pushed forward at gearbox end. Get your mate to put her in neutral and hold the gearshift steady. You loosen the retaining nut and pull the cable a tiny amount forward and tighten. Fire her up and test all gears letting the clutch out carefully of course just in case you've over/under adjusted. Hopefully you'll be a happy chappie first time round and replace the weight :D Basically it's a patience game with the adjustment.

Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks Dom. Didn't realise you had a B&M fitted to your motor as well. I wouldn't have minded just sitting in your car and flitting through the gears at E38 yesterday just to see how yours felt (easy Dom!) compared to mine. I know that (at least) the top circlip is present - didn't realise there were others though.

I need to rope Tempest into a car park Corrado tinkering session then I think whenever he is back from his Karmann factory tour then!

Cheers.

I need to rope Tempest into a car park Corrado tinkering session then I think whenever he is back from his Karmann factory tour then!

Well, I better own up then, ... yes, I have been to Karmann this weekend just gone, together with approx. 30 other Roccos :D What a weekend it was :D . Loads of piccies, more in general chat shortly.

Erm, back to topic, yeah, no problem with adjusting the gear cables, done that on mine several times (as you know and have heard, Jim, mine did crunch quite badly), as it is indeed a bit of trial and error and patience. PM for dates ...

Tempest