Sign in to follow this  
Jimbob1970

I think I have killed it....!?

Driving my 1.8 16v home from work tonight, giving it a bit of right foot, uphill, in third, overtaking a van....

Sudden loss of power, and massive amounts of white smoke out the back of the car, and the inside full of smoke as well!

I was at about 6000 revs at the time..... :oops:

I am no expert.... but this isn't good is it?!!!......

I think I have blown the motor.

I drove home carefully after that and it kept going, but when I revved it at a standstill once I was home, it was smoking pretty badly.

Have I blown the head gasket or what?

Arse.

white smoke is normally water vapour... sounds like you've blown the head gasket... :|

When it's cooled down a bit, check the expansion tank to see if there's any coolant in it... if it's empty, you've definately blown the head gasket... :(

Thanks for that Henny.

I will go and look now.

I could do without that right now really.

That's going to be expensive.

Could be an excuse for a few mods though, I was thinking about a 2.0 litre bottom end.....

:D

nah, 16V head gaskets are a doddle to do and ain't that expensive either... At a guess you're looking at less than £150 if you do it yourself with a decent bodyshop checking the head for trueness and skimming lightly if needed... 8)

I'd be tempted to go whole hog while you're in there though, and sling in new tappets, cam-chain + Belt/tensioner, oil pump and bottom end shells while it's in bits if you're doing it all yourself... you'll then have a nice practically new engine to start modding... 8)

That's what I did when I blew the head gasket on my valver anyway... ;)

Thanks for that Henny.

I just went and checked the expansion tank and it is totally empty, so it looks like I have blown the head gasket.

Will it be ok to carefully drive a short distance, if I top up the water first?....

Need to get it to a garage.

I can't do this stuff myself, I haven't got a clue.

I am a complete muppet with mechanics... :roll:

I personally wouldn't drive it the water will drain away really quickly and you could warp it beyond skimming.

ive had a head gasket go on me before , if youve got a good garage (who'll do you a deal on a job rather than just paying time) and can get a hold of a second hand low mileage head it may be worth doing it this way as mine worked out around 170 ish compared to 150 to get it skimmed and redone 9bear in mind i made a deal with the garage prob be around 200 -250 )

I think even a 16v audi head would do.

otherwise get it skimmed but watch incase its been skimmed beforwe as theres only far you can do it and then its just a wast of time as itll weaken it and may cause more problems.

as far as faults go this aint a real big problem although it can make you feel a bit panicky dont worry about it dude, just concentrate on the fix. also check your oil for scummy white foamy bits as this would suggest youve busted the "head" (dont know how to put it but cracks leaking allowing them to mix , argh wish i wasn't so bad at this, dumn at grammar etc.. :oops: ) if not just skim and get on with it.

good luck mate

:wink:

Thanks for the advice bighairymuppet, and Henny.

I am getting a quote on a 20vT transplant (just to see how silly it is!), and a 2.0 litre bottom end transplant along with the gasket fix.

:D