Sign in to follow this  
Andy Brookes

Do I need spacers for my new wheels??

Hi All,

At last my new wheels arrived today. I popped them on tonight to check out clearances, they are an 8" wheel with at ET35 offset. I have measured across the outer rim and its nearly 9 inches, pretty large rim width for an 8" wheel.

Now those that have fitted similar wheels, could you advise me whether you think I need spacers with the clearances I have (see pics). The rear is the closest at around 10mm. I'm not planning on lowering it any further. Tyres are Toyo's in 205/40's. Any opinians would be gratefully recieved.

Tyres are a good idea, I think they look shite with out them.

As for spacers, the size you need depends on how far out you can come without fouling the arch lip, less a little for peace of mind.

here's the 205 on a 7" rim, doesnt protude much at all. Think I wil get 1 tyre swopped over tomorrow and try it front and back to see how close it is with the tyre on.

remember that even stretched tyres will move about on the side walls under "enthusiastic" cornering...

Personally, I'd want at least 5 or 10mm more clearance there for peace of mind... 8" with a 35mm offset means that the inside edge sits MUCH closer to the inner wing than a standard wheel would... :|

Andy, I've got 215/40/17 on the wheels, and used a 6mm spacer on the front, and the tyres rubbed. When I took it off, they were able to go lock to lock with no rubbing. The problems here are 1) the tyre is a fingers' width from the arch, and 2) on the inside the tyre is about 4mm from the cap / guard at the bottom of the suspension spring [which you don't seem to have in your photo].

I'm getting a guy to come over later to check it out... :? ....will post the pics.

all fitted with loads of room, can get my hand inbetween the tyre and suspension, so thats more than enough clearance for me.

Anubis, I have coilovers on my VR, do you have standard shocks?

No, they're "Weitech" springs and shocks, lowered 45 mm. The springs' actually nowhere near the tyre, it's this guard / cap thing that is. I'll hopefully be having a look in a bit.

Did you use the spacers in the end?

no spacers required, due to the coilovers I think. I may get some spacers for the rear, as I think the track is a bit narrow on the back of all VR's (compared to the front). But I think that will entail arch rolling to ensure no rubbing.

Cheers Andy