Sign in to follow this  
scruffydubbers

G60 mangement questions

Hi,

was wantind to learn a bit more about the g60 managent and woundered if anyone can help me.

i understand that when using over 15ish psi the isv opens up as a safety feature, i ve also heard that the timing is retarded when this happens.

how does it retard the timing? because the dizzy is adjusted manually :?

the engine mangement has a knocksensor can it control the timing at all or does it just effect the fueling to try and stop pinking?

i have got my isv re-routed so if it blows off any boost it will not escape. but if my timing is being retarded then i would be loseing power.

do you think there are much benefits with going for a aftermarket electrionic dizzy less ignition, so it could control the timing and be more effeicent, but leave the g60 management controling the fueling side of things?

has anybody run this kind of set-up?

thanks for any help

Hi,

was wantind to learn a bit more about the g60 managent and woundered if anyone can help me.

i understand that when using over 15ish psi the isv opens up as a safety feature, i ve also heard that the timing is retarded when this happens.

how does it retard the timing? because the dizzy is adjusted manually :?

the engine mangement has a knocksensor can it control the timing at all or does it just effect the fueling to try and stop pinking?

i have got my isv re-routed so if it blows off any boost it will not escape. but if my timing is being retarded then i would be loseing power.

do you think there are much benefits with going for a aftermarket electrionic dizzy less ignition, so it could control the timing and be more effeicent, but leave the g60 management controling the fueling side of things?

has anybody run this kind of set-up?

thanks for any help

gman or John Mitchell will prolly answer the boost thru ISV Q.

The timing is picked from a reference table(the map) in the ECU. This is based on engine load/temp/speed etc.

The knock sensor is just another influence to the ECU. Knock is detected and the ECU picks a timing value to prevent the knock, Then it will slowly advance the timing again as long as no knock occurs.

For me there is no point whatsoever in having a seperate ign computer and having the std ECU do the fuel.

If you want to mess with the timing, you need to be able to do the fuelling as well. The 2 go hand in hand.

You can have your std ECU mapped any way. Your std chip is read into a laptop and the laptop hooked into the std ECU. This runs the car while the operator alters the maps for timing and fuelling.

When finished the map is burned to another chip and fitted to the std ECU again. Job done and you are 3-400 quid lighter. If you plan on making loads of 'stage' modifications to your car over time. The addition of a number of 400 quid remaps will tot up and may make it worth going to standalone management.

However, be under no illusion that setting up a car from scratch is a sunday afternoon job!!.

Gavin

The timing is picked from a reference table(the map) in the ECU. This is based on engine load/temp/speed etc.

The knock sensor is just another influence to the ECU. Knock is detected and the ECU picks a timing value to prevent the knock, Then it will slowly advance the timing again as long as no knock occurs

hows does the ecu change the timing on a g60 though?

as the timing is set/adjusted manually on a g60.

if the ecu could control the timing why will the engine pink if you have the dizzy to far advanced?

i understand this is how it would work on more modern engine management systems which use a dizzy less set-up,

i can remember reading that on the g60 management when the knock sensor detects pinking it will try to overcome it by altering the fueling rather than the timing, which is why it can only try and prevent it up to a certain point. can anybody confirm this is correct?

i've got a custom chip on my car at the moment, but this will not prevent the isv opening up when the boost level gets to a certain value, this is controled by the map sensor and i dont think the chip has any part to this.

hi gareth,

Here’s how the idle stab valve works on boost if I understand it correctly..

The isv will open when the inlet manifold pressure[AKA BOOST] is above 0.8 bar and vent excess boost either back down the boost return pipe[ not good as this will be hot used boost] or as we prefer through a small k&n breather filter.[This is a separate issue with blanking off one side of the charger etc etc i write about this next. ]

Ok so if any pinking is detected, the timing will be retarded by 3 degs for the cylinder affected. The timing can be retarded as much as 12 degs to reduce pinking. The maximum difference between two cylinders is 9 degrees so I have read in the vw tech data.

Now if the ecu still is detecting pinking after the timing has been retarded by 12 degs it will now open the isv and vent boost via this method. The ecu will then start to advance the timing in .3deg increments at a time until the ecu is happy again

Once the ecu is happy there is no pinking it will be returned back to std boost and normal fuel map will be continued….

D

thanks Darren :)

it is clever considering its that old. trying to understand and learn more about it is difficult,

cant imagine how complicated new engine mangemnet systems are.

i just came up with a idea with the isv.

on the throttle body there is a switch for when the throttle is closed, i was thinking i could link this to a simple circuit which allows the isv to get its supply to open up on idle.

but as soon as the throttle starts to open and the switch opens it cuts off any supply to the isv,

so if the manifold pressure exceded 0.8 bar and the ecu sends a signal to the isv it would have no effect.

do you think this could work?

i guess it could effect other items this switch is used for :?

i'm off for a tinker with my multimeter (hope i dont blow anything :shock: )