Sign in to follow this  
RACK

Mk3 GTi

My "on off" girlfriend mentioned the other day, she would like a Golf GTi, due to the clutch cable going on her Fiat Seicento Sporting (Not got a clue how to spell).

Common fault on them. It's only a £13 part but it's a good couple of hours pain in the ass to fix!

But mainly it's swapping a fiat for a Dub, surely a good thing.

Anyway I've found a bargin Mk3 GTi 2L 8v for £1795

2 owners from new, 75K miles, FSH

Looks nice enough in the pic.

Just wondered what the major things to look out for are?

Thanks

RACK

If its accident free and has the history to back that mileage, I would go an buy it as it will sell straight away.

How old is it?

Bascially check for rust inside the tailgate and fuel filler. 8v's are guttless so dont expect to much performance. Just the usual like electrics, heater controls etc should be working. They are fairly heavy so check suspensions, mounts. The 8v is an easy engine to work on.

From memory the first of the cars were not so well made and they used crap paint.

i've had a mk3 gti as coullstar says they are gutless and very softly sprung, i had a mk1 gti and two mk 2 gti's before the mk3 and i didnt keep the mk3 long , just hasnt got any edges to it , its just a family saloon with a gti badge imho

give me a mk2 anyday 8)

the mk3 was nearly new that i had only 15k on the clock so i had no hassle with it

It's a J-reg so will be one of the first.

I'm gonna try and talk her into having a look at it, cos surely it's better than the fiat.

I've heard they aren't mega quick, but she's going from a 1.1 so it will feel like a porsche to her.

If I get round to having a look at it I'll let you all know.

going from the fiat it'll feel like a rocket, hell walkings a move up from a cento thing :D

yeah j were the first ones, should be ok they were built really well and i've seen mk3's with 140k miles on goin for similar cash

good luck

Cheers for the replies, I'm gonna tr and get to see it later on tonight.

Just got to talk the GF into it :lol:

One other thing I forgot to mention.

She pays £950 a year fully comp on the fiat, it's only £1000 for the GTi. Strange eh?

i've had a mk3 gti as coullstar says they are gutless and very softly sprung, i had a mk1 gti and two mk 2 gti's before the mk3 and i didnt keep the mk3 long , just hasnt got any edges to it , its just a family saloon with a gti badge imho

give me a mk2 anyday 8)

the mk3 was nearly new that i had only 15k on the clock so i had no hassle with it

My sentiments exactley, regretted buying mine almost immediatley, because it was gutless and a 5 door as well (loads more weight). I kept it a year and went back to a MKII.

She pays £950 a year fully comp on the fiat, it's only £1000 for the GTi. Strange eh?

Could be that Insurance companies know about the lack of performance!! Apart from the performance its a quality motor though. It depends what you want from it.

Insurance companies are stupid, i was paying £1800 on a MK2 Golf GTi 16V, ok i thought it was my first car and had only been driving 1 WEEK! A year later get the VR6 and they want £1200, ok had a years no claims but the car was worth 6X the value of the golf!

Insurance companies don't have a clue :lol:

I don't want anything from it, I'm too busy throwing money (and tears) at my G60. :cry: :lol:

She just mentioned she'd like a golf, so I got excited and started looking.

It will seem fast to her, so that will be ok.

Also have you ever been in the back of a cento? The rado rear seems huge compared to that :lol:

It's a J-reg so will be one of the first.

I'm gonna try and talk her into having a look at it, cos surely it's better than the fiat.

I've heard they aren't mega quick, but she's going from a 1.1 so it will feel like a porsche to her.

If I get round to having a look at it I'll let you all know.

tbh £1795 aint too much a bargain at that age.........

I never got chance to see it, it had been sold.

I asked how much he got and it sold for £1700, must have been in decent condition.

Oh well, just have to keep looking.

Thanks for the replies

RACK

Doesn't matter what your buying if its priced well it goes straight away. Especially a GTI, do your home work first and then go and find one to buy.