Sign in to follow this  
julesz

New/Old Grill

Yep, need to jigger around with the mounts - but it can be done. I couldn't be arsed so I lopped them off with a dremel, drilled some holes and zip tied it on. You'd never know the difference. Well, until you need to get access behind it.

I've seen people pop rivet the old mounts onto a new grille, so you can still use the push catches. It's possible, and in retrospect a much better way than my hungover grille dremel mashing.

HTH

randal

I did this yesterday....the original mounts from the new grille were removed with a hot Stanley knife and superglued back in the right place. I wasn't sure that the glue would be strong enough, but having re-asessed the job I'd say the plasic is weaker!

I used the mounts that came on the new style grille and it fits in the same way as the old one used to, with the push catches fully operational. Wish I'd taken some pictures now.

If someone with a VR6 could take a couple of shots of the new style grille in place that may make other people's life easier as they will be able to see how it sits from the factory. A picture of the front of the car taken from the side would be the most useful, if you see what I mean.

Nice one (and damn quick!)....as I suspected the lights on the later models follow the edge of the front panel closer than the early model, therefore my grille sits slightly further out than the lights. I'm gonna go re-modify that now and I'll put some pictures of the mounting points up when it's right.

Okay, I reckon this is about as good as it's going to get. You'll notice that the grille still sits slightly proud of the headlights but it won't go back any further due to the uprights behind it.

Incidentally if anyone has made a better job of this then I'd like to take a butcher's at the pics.

mate if its a 92 g60 u might be lucky like me and already have the holes for the vr6 grille,,,whack ur old grille off and have a look, than if so simply take out old and put in new