Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

lost my speedo

My speedo stopped working last week at first I thought it was a fuse but Ive checked them all and none of them appear to be out.

Im concerned that the radiator cooling fan might be on the same circuit or using the same fuse because I haven’t noticed it coming on lately either. At what temp does this usually kick in? The water temp was over 100 at the weekend and I didn’t hear the fan coming on after I stopped the car.

As I said Ive checked the fuses and none appear to be out.

Check the wiring to the speed sensor on the gearbox... Is the MPG still working, if so the the needle may have just come off its spindle...

Rad fan switch is likely to be dead as the afterrun is on a seperate circuit anyways...

Baz? what corrado have you got? have you got a digital milage counter? could be a broken speedo cable if it's a mechanical one...

If it's a digital one, check the AVERAGE SPEED on the MFA (MPG isn't as easy to tell by! ;) ) if that's still working, then I'm with Supercharged on it being the needle coming loose, or a dodgy connection... If it's not working (and the spoiler's not working either) then it's probably the gearbox speed sender which has either broken or become disconnected at the plug or due to a broken wire... :|

Its a 1989 1.8 16V - Sorry lads must have posted this in body mods by mistake I intended this thread to be in the problems section.

Ill check my MFA this evening, this is working for sure but I didn’t check the avg miles just MPG. Its a mechanical mileage counter so ill have to check the cable..... where would I find it? As long as Im asking where would I find the rad fan switch?

right, odds are it's the cable that's snapped then... it'll be a thick cable running from the back of the gearbox up through the bulkhead/firewall and into the back of the instrument cluster... IIRC they're not too bad to change and don't cost huge amounts of money either... 8)

This would also explain your spoiler problems too, (noticed you are looking for a spoiler control module) as on the earlier cars the spoiler module gets a signal from the back of the instrument cluster which provides the electronic pulses generated by the rotation of the speedo cable... 8)

Check that the cable hasn't come off on the back of the instruments first though, as this can happen occasionally, especially if it's been distrurbed by someone like an alarm fitter in the recent past... ;)

The fan switch is on the radiator down by the battery on the inside of the engine bay... it's a BIG brass nut looking thing with a plastic wiring connector on it... 8)

Oh, and I've moved the thread to problems for you... :)

right, odds are it's the cable that's snapped then... it'll be a thick cable running from the back of the gearbox up through the bulkhead/firewall and into the back of the instrument cluster... IIRC they're not too bad to change and don't cost huge amounts of money either... 8)

Ill check this cable later this evening.

This would also explain your spoiler problems too, (noticed you are looking for a spoiler control module) as on the earlier cars the spoiler module gets a signal from the back of the instrument cluster which provides the electronic pulses generated by the rotation of the speedo cable... 8)

The spoiler never really worked since I got the car, I may need a new motor I managed to get it up and working with the switch and a new no16 fuse but after a while it blew again (does this sound like a control module problem? or a motor problem) and the spoiler never went down using the switch. It stopped working last week along with my speedo + No 16 fuse.

Check that the cable hasn't come off on the back of the instruments first though, as this can happen occasionally, especially if it's been distrurbed by someone like an alarm fitter in the recent past... ;)

I did notice a black loose wire when i took off the cover to check out the spoiler control module - and there was an alarm on the car when i got it.

The fan switch is on the radiator down by the battery on the inside of the engine bay... it's a BIG brass nut looking thing with a plastic wiring connector on it... 8)

ill be checking this first thing.

Oh, and I've moved the thread to problems for you... :)

As always your help is much appriciated.

just had a thought...

When you check if your MFA is still reading average speed, check to see if the milage is still going up on the counter too...

If they both work, then it's not the cable... ;)

I was going to start investigating my spoiler fault this weekend, but think you may have just pointed me in the right direction.

Would the cable that connects to the back of the instrument panel be a single black and red one with a black plactic moulding on it?

If so i think it's hanging down into my footwell !! :?

Just to clear this up, it's not an electrical wire, it's a mechanical cable which rotates inside a sheath to transfer the rotation from the gearbox drive to the speedo...

The thing you describe could be the speedo cable, but I have no idea what colour it (or the end connector on it) would be... The end connector should be about 2" long with a large (around 3/4 of an inch diameter) round, hollow end on it and a single, bare metal, square ended wire inside it. The cable itself should be about 1cm in diameter if it's anything like the ones on a Golf... I've not seen one on a Corrado before, so I'm just going on what's on my MKII Golf... :)

Just to clear this up, it's not an electrical wire, it's a mechanical cable which rotates inside a sheath to transfer the rotation from the gearbox drive to the speedo...

The thing you describe could be the speedo cable, but I have no idea what colour it (or the end connector on it) would be... The end connector should be about 2" long with a large (around 3/4 of an inch diameter) round, hollow end on it and a single, bare metal, square ended wire inside it. The cable itself should be about 1cm in diameter if it's anything like the ones on a Golf... I've not seen one on a Corrado before, so I'm just going on what's on my MKII Golf...

sorry i was refering to the cable from the back of the speedo to the spoiler control module on the earlier cars not the speedo cable itself :?

8) Cool, just checking to make sure there were no crossed wires... (pun intended! :lol: )

Cool, just checking to make sure there were no crossed wires... (pun intended! )

Ouch i just fell of my chair 'cos i was laughing so hard :lol:

It could be your vehicle speed sensor on top of the transmission. In case no-one has mentioned that.

I just fitted one. Dead quick and easy. £20 from VW and cured the problem.

It could be your vehicle speed sensor on top of the transmission. In case no-one has mentioned that.

I just fitted one. Dead quick and easy. £20 from VW and cured the problem.

Corrados with mechanical speedos don't have that sensor, they have a drive cable which fits in the same place and drives the clocks directly exactly the same as on a Golf... 8)