Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

Head gasket for sure?

Have been getting oily water in my 16V for some time now, at first I was being optimistic and replaced the oil cooler. After a complete rad flush the water is still a bit messy (not as bad) I have since bought the head gasket set from GSF as Im sure it’s the problem as the oil and water temp goes up quickly and oily water leaks from the flange at the front when its gets hot.

Could I just ask how can I tell if I need to get the head skimmed + polished? I know its prob the best thing to do but is it always necessary?

Ive also been considering other polishing/flushing on the head that can be done, has anyone had good results from this? I wouldn’t be too keen on a big bore just a tidy up.

Can I also ask will I need the timing done when replacing the head gasket?

I would have suggested using a g60 headgasket and i think late mkIII 16v aree metal along with TDI's as they are alot stronger than standard items

ive jsut finished putting one of these to my mates 16v

also as ur getting mixture in the water i would strongly suggest you skim the head when its off but it could also mean your water oil cooler has sprung a leak in the seals letting oil and water mix

also onece the head is off u need to do the timing along with a new timing belt but best to time everything up before you take everything off :)

Hi Barry,

For the sake of a few quid it is definitely best to get the head skimmed when it's off. Just imagine if you don't get it skimmed and you have to go to all the hassle of taking it off again, buying another gasket etc.

When I was working as a mechanic I replaced loads of head gaskets. I always got the head skimmed. The place where I get them done would do them while I waited and I would watch it being done. Out of all the ones I have seen being done I never saw a head that didn't actually need to be skimmed. They were all warped to some extent.

You should also replace the timing belt unless it is very recently fitted. New ones aren't expensive and you have to take the old one off to remove the head anyway so you may as well get it done at the same time.

at the end of the day, if a head doesn't need skimming, a good engineering shop will tell you just that and only charge you for the inspection... 8)