Sign in to follow this  
Mo

FEW ENGINE QUESTIONS....PLEASE HELP.

Hi, I have a few question in regards to my G60 engine. I've noticed a slight leak (its greenish in appearance) near the supercharger as illustrated in the picture. This leak has been there for quite some time (sine I've bought the car 6-7 months ago), and its had no bearing on the performance or the normal working order of the engine. Does anyone know if this is normal? Could it be a by-product of the supercharger? If not then what can I do to rectify this problem?

The second question is that around this pipe (see pic 2) there is a slight leak. I thought it might be the pipe which has come out. I've tried to push it back in, but it will not go any further. What can I do to stop this leak?

my final question is that when I bought this car it had a de cat done to it. My MOT is coming up for renewal at the end of October. Will the car pass? If not then what measures can I take to sort this out and get it to pass the MOT? are there any special liquids I can buy to lower the emissions?

Thank you for your replies. :mad:

Ok, your pics don't seem to be in the same order as your questions, but here we go... :)

Green sludge will be a slight coolant weep from the plastic flange on the front of the head. Follow the top radiator hose to the engine and you'll see it connects onto a plastic bit with 2 sensors in it and another pipe off to the supercharger side leading down the front of the engine (onto the oil cooler and waterpump)... These flanges are renowned for leaking. :roll: Fortunately they're not expensive (around £25 If I Remember Correctly) you'll need a new flange and the O rings for the joint to the block and for below the 2 sensors too... A lot of people also change the sensors at the same time as they tend to fail after being dried out during the change over, or not long it... :roll: Again, not too expensive at around £15 each... I'm guessing these are the pics named 2.jpg and 3.jpg While you are getting around to changing this flange, it's also worth doing the one on the side of the head too, as this will start leaking as soon as you repair the front flange due to it being the next weakest point... again, not expensive to do, and if you do them both in one hit, you'll only have to change the coolant once! 8)

Picture 1.jpg is the oil breather pipe connection onto the boost return pipe... these have a habit of splitting with age (mine has too) and aren't a big problem except for the crud you'll have around it... It's probably worth replacing the pipe if you get chance, but don't worry about it too much... 8)

and finally, it's all on the age of your G60 as to if it needs the cat or not... If it's a J plate or earlier then you don't need it, and it should pass the emissions test easily without the car... if it's a K plate, really, it should have a cat on it, but the odds are it'll still pass the emissions test if it's running properly! 8) Mine flew through the cat emissions test even though it's been heavily modified and doesn't have a cat! 8) :lol:

*Edit* have a look at THIS thread about the coolant flange... get the parts from Eurocarparts or GSF to save some cash though... 8)

cheers buddy for your help and taking the time to reply. Cheers once again. Have a drink on me. :D