Sign in to follow this  
g-dub

G60 Run in

just wanna know the best runin for my car,

had a new S/C and had just completed 1000 mile before i crashed the car, the engine had been sitting for about 10 months but was turned over a few times, shall i do another 1000 miles or can it be less

also should i use different oils, for the process one to do the runin and then is it semi sinthetic afterwards

cheers

It'll be fine if you have done 1000 already. Just take it easy and always make sure your temps are 90c plus before going over 3ki odd.

You'll be fine with semi as well.

Just worry about not crashing again :D

if its been sitting for 10 months and only been turned over a few times i would for the sake of £30-ish quid still give it an oil and filter change

Yeah definitely - I assumed when you mentioned the oil you were going to do this.

Drive a few miles with the old oil first though before changing it maybe.

if its been sitting for 10 months and only been turned over a few times i would for the sake of £30-ish quid still give it an oil and filter change

Agreed - just to be on the safe side :wink: (use Synta Silver oil)

yup, personally, I'd run her up to temp while she's standing, switch off and drain the oil. Change the filter and replace the oil (don't forget the bung first though!) and then drive as normal... 8)

great, i thought i was gonna have to spend a week going up and down the M6, and yup the engine will be fully serviced (plugs, leads, oil/filter, fuel filter) before and oil change every month after,

next question then, got a polished and ported head and a cam to go in how many miles running in should i cover before fitting this (i know i could have done this in the first place but just wanted to get it running first), probably gonna go to the No-rice RR before to see what it'll put out any way

and as for crashing again, i drive like a sunday driver now im so scared of the road, my wife drives more eratticly than me

Just stick it all together and drive it. It's no more likely to go wrong if you put the head on now or in 25 miles, assuming you do it right. :mrgreen:

Even Henny with a good engineering background has stuff go wrong on him. Usually materials not workmanship. :roll:

Gavin

Even Henny with a good engineering background has stuff go wrong on him. Usually materials not workmanship. :roll:

Ain't that just the truth... :roll: :? Out of the problems I've had with my car over the last year and a bit, only 1 of 'em has been caused by a lack of knowledge rather than an actual material failure... :|

I'm with Gav here... get the head on!

well gonna leave the standard head on so i can RR and take it down the strip and see whats what, then do the head and cam and see if the money was worth it, then go see misure darren, then go see misure vince, then misure.... you get the picture! and as the RR is only 5 mins and pod only 15mins away i can nip between each mod, it's not so bad here!