Sign in to follow this  
Ford

Screaming engine cooling fan... help!

Hi, did a 200mile round trip this weekend and about 100 yards from the house a screaming noise started coming from the engine attracting all kinds of attention from passers by. When I got home, I turned off the engine and it carried on so I knew it was the engine cooling fan. Got out and I think it was on the passenger side. Couldn't really see as it was dark by the time I got back lastnight. Made a real screaming sound, very loud and pretty embarrasing. Anybody had this problem? If so how did they fix it?

It could be that the bearings in the fan motor have run, the drive belt to the second fan could be slipping and screeching or something may have got into the fan shroud and is being touched by the rotating blades. The auxilliary water pump also runs with the fan, so maybe it's that.

I don't think the bearings can be serviced so it would mean a new fan. A new drive belt would be a lot cheaper. Something in the fan shroud should be cheaper still to rectify !! A noisy pump would need to be replaced I suppose - about £60.

Best wishes

RB

There's also a spacer between the fan blades and motor which may have fallen apart - fan then scrapes on the motor which could be the noise. See if there is any movement on the shaft - but make sure its cold so you don't get your finger bit.

I had this very noise and then the fan packed up 2 weeks later, just dont drive a long distanace run for the mo :)

Thank-you very much for advice, will check her out tonight and will go through the above suggestions. I can imagine a new fan would cost a bit! Hope its a spacer or something... Must say it is one of the worst noises I have ever heard from a car, sounds like something is dying in there....

I had this very noise and then the fan packed up 2 weeks later, just dont drive a long distanace run for the mo

got somebody checking it out on saturday. Girlfriend wants to make a few local trips in the car before then. Hope that is okay. Just out of interest, when the fan packed up, how much did it cost to fix, parts and labour? Cheers.

Hi, okay luckily it is the auxiliary radiator cooling fan (Part #: 357119113A) that has gone. Thank god!!! FYI, aux fan from VW costs £79.01 incl. vat. But had it been the main fan it would have cost a huge £269!!! :shock: :shock: So ordering it tomorrow morning. Hope to fit it on the weekend....

Thanks