Sign in to follow this  
deag

16v Oil Filter Removal

There must be something I'm missing....

How should the oil filter be removed? Presumabely just screws out, correct? So why is mine refusing to budge, even though I'm crushing the filter with the wrench?

I am afraid of putting anymore force on it in case I either rip the cooler out, or pierce the filter, in which case the car is stuck until I can get it off!

Someone please tell me I'm missing something here!!!

:x :x :mad:

deag.

I am confused here m8, the oil filter should just have a nut on the bottom of it (part of the filter) for you to unscrew, if the filter does not have this and you can not turn the oil filter you can always get messy and stick a screw driver into it and then turn it.

The oil filter on the G60 is very central and not far from the grill (presumably same for 16V), just jack the car up, get underneath and you can see it just to the right of the front engine mount.

only the g60 has the nut on the bottom, 16v is just a smooth one

i use one of those filter removal straps, which grip and crush without demolishing the filter - better if you put it near the end of filter when doing it.. have stabbed em with a screwdriver before tho

The worst you will do is wind the tube out of the oil cooler.

Once you have the filter off you can clean eveything and re-assemble it. This used to happen eveytime on my Golf, after I removed the std oil cooler.

Make sure you oil the O ring before screwing up the new filter.

A strap is the best choice unless you have an oil filter socket.

Gavin

Tis a smooth filter alright, and I've been crushing it with the strap. Will do some more crushing, f-ing and blinding tonight!

Bloody halfords filters....

Thanks for the wise words.

deag.

I used to hammer a scredriver through the ones on my old 16V to get 'em undone... They're a little sod to undo sometimes... :|

Some dealers throw in a new free filter when you buy oil from them

My local does Synta silva for £17.99 with the filter thrown in.

Have you tried to tighten it before you undo it ?

also the silver rim at the top if theres some way of giving it a tap in the right direction with a hammer screwdriver combo.

They dont need to be on mega tight,hand tight and half a turn is fine .

Theres other reasons for using O.E.M filters,In not sure if these ones have non returns on them.

Roy

I used to hammer a scredriver through the ones on my old 16V to get 'em undone... They're a little sod to undo sometimes... :|

yep, that does the job, and makes a lovely mess too :)

Slightly refined approach though, start with a small screwdriver to make a hole and then hammer the big one through.

After years of experimenting I've just about got the right tightness on the filters so that after 5 or 6000 miles if they're clean I can just about undo them by hand too, how sad :roll:

David.

Well I got 5l of Quatum Silver for about £11 and a filter for a fiver.

my last VAG filter for a 2.0 16v was 2.80 plus vat :-) cheaper than GSF or ECP

David.

If you are going to use the screwdriver thru the filter method remember to warm the car up a bit before making the hole. I had to use this method on mine a while back.

Good luck

Yep, screwdriver / ice-pick hammered through the filter is the norm for me too. Put it through the lower half of the filter though, or you might be hitting other gubbins in the way. Always get a genuine VW filter in future mate, too, they have a non-return vlave built in which holds some of the oil in the upper half of the engine ready for the next time you start her up. Cheaper non-genuine filters don't. If iIm buying a VW I always look to see if it's a genuine filter or not, a good indication of the standards of the owener in my opinion.

If iIm buying a VW I always look to see if it's a genuine filter or not, a good indication of the standards of the owener in my opinion.

:wink: 8)