Sign in to follow this  
julesz

Ireland Insurance

Hi all. Im moving to Ireland at Christmas for a year. Anyone know of any decent (cheap)insurance companies over there?

p.s. thats Republic of Ireland / Dublin...

I think that you will find that it is more expensive over here especially if you are young and male which i presume you are..... The insurance companies over here come down really hard on that group. If its a fast car and you dont have your license very long ie you are under 26, then it will be high.

You always hear of stories of fellas being quoted 4k/5k/6k for 1 yrs insurance. Complete joke i know.... but shop around, i think the best to try are Quinn Direct, and Axa whom I'm with. I pay only 1000 Euro / 650 sterling for my 1.8 banger/carina :oops: although ive a full license for 7 yrs and no claims on my own policy started last yr....

Living in Dublin wont help either, but hey at least you'll have a plentiful supply of the black stuff :D

well im 28 and have plenty of no claims, but 11 speeding points and im taking the VR6 over... I only pay £630 here but just got a quote for E1800 (£1200) over in Dublin. Do you know if i will take my points with me?? :roll:

cant say for sure to be honest!!! did they ask when you were given the quote if you had any points? Although a friend of mine from London was caught speeding in Ireland when he came over for a weekend, and nothing ever happened. Think they just didnt bother pursuing him cause it was a UK car. If its only for a year then maybe if you're caught speeding you could say that you're on holiday for the weekend and hope for the best!!! :twisted:

Hmm, i own a house over here and will be renting it out. If we put the Dublin house in the girlfriends name and get all out mail redirected, i could pretend i still live in the UK and just visit Dublin alot.... hmmmm :roll:

or maybe drive a bit slower???? ....nah... where can you get those house changing forms!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude you could get the shaft when u try to get insurance here on the emerald isle. I'm 27 with 6 years no claims and I'm payin E2000 on my VR6. I was paying E1800 last year on my G60.

Make sure you check out http://www.vage.ie and meet up with some of us Irish VW heads. Love to see another C join the gang.

do you think there would be a problem having the car registered and taxed here, but insured in Ireland? or maybe it would be better to try and insure it in the UK?

Too right, try to insure it in the UK. I'm pretty sure you should be covered to drive here anyway on your UK policy. I know my Irish policy covers me to drive anywhere in Europe.

yeah i think id be covered for up to 90 days, and could come back every 90 days to keep it valid, although if im working over there for a year would they class me as resident over there?

Yes you could have a problem there. If you're classed as a resident you will get the fright of your life when they tell you to get ur car registered here. VRT is a serious tarrif here.