Sign in to follow this  
Cougar

Help, electrical short killed everything

Hi all, I had fitted a push button momentary switch to avoid replacing the ignition switch and all was fine. I was working on something else when the push button switch grounded by accident. I now have no power to anything switched by key. I have interior lights just nothing on the ignition curcuit.

I was thinking that maybe there was a fuseable link but I can't find any and all the fuses are ok. Any suggestions?

my fuse box went and so fuel pump and ignition switch stopped working..............the fuel pump fuse was melted into the fuse box, and so as a result i guess another item to be replaced!!! As well as the ignition switch.so when you say push button, can i do the same mod??? And how much would it cost???

Adding the push button was easy I just spliced it into the large red (hot) lead going to the ignition switch. Probem was that it is always hot either with the key on or off. When it moved it shorted and the lead was no longer hot and I couldn't trace down why as it appears that line is not fused through the box.

I ran a secondary line from the battery directly to the switch (fused of course) and that powered everything back up and is holding with a 20 amp fuse. So until I find the break in the original lead I'm at least driving again.

Now I have to get the windows working again. I suspected that the aftermarket alarm was the problem and bit by bit removed it, now the windows don't work.

UI did find this site for wiring diagrams that helped ALOT>>

http://volkswagen.msk.ru/index.php?p=page01

cheers mate

ive looked into mine again, as the fuel pump ceased to work last night............defintely due to after market alarm, the tw@ts run it in seriies with the live, by cutting everything in half, and its all buggerd. Gna have to rewire it all.Hope its a nice weekend or im fd.